• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turboing the 2.3L

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
:dntknw:

so i want a turbo for my 1995 2.3L Ranger..but i need some advice.

Is it better to find a complete 2.3T engine? I was thinking the later model thunderbird or mustang. Or would i be fine just throwing it on my stock engine. I have a 5 spd too, in case that makes a difference. I don't want 300hp, just something to give it a little more "go".

Please give me any helpful advice that i might need..i know forged pistons, better rear-end, clutch, etc. will be needed eventually.

thanks in advance

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
for ease of installation...finding a turbocoupe would be the ideal route.

its possible to turbo your current engine and you dont need to open the engine up at all if you plan on keeping the boost levels low (no more than 10PSI or so).

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
i figured as much..i wanna run up to 15 psi..so i was thinking a turbo'd engine would be best since the forged pistons are already there..but i was thinking why the hell not, since i'm in there, throw in a cam, port and polish the head, and other little components that may save me from headaches down the road..like better head gasket :D

but thanks for the reply

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Find a complete turbo coupe engine if you can as well as the harness. It makes everything easier.

92dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
I would try and find a whole car. I found a whole 86 turbo coupe with a junked title on craigslist for $450 when i started my swap. Then after i pulled everything i needed. I scraped the car for a little over $200. Then traded a guy the wheels and tires for a high duration motor sports cam and all the rollers. Pretty much got the engine and trany for almost nothing. It worked out pretty sweet.

I also want to run about 15psi in mine but I'm just trying to get it wired up right now. I figure i need to get it running good then worry about turning up the boost and installing my front mount inter cooler.

Last edited:

ttfiveohranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8 Twin Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I live in Detroit MI area.. how close are you? have a running tcoupe 88 needs a little tlc but 104k and solid motor?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals