• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New bumper in process...feedback please!

patov6

July 2007 TOTM Winner!
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was bored about the chrome stock bumper and its lack of attack angle. I have the winch mounted between the chassis and that configuration dont help in some situations, especially in rocks, when you need all the attack angle that yuo can get.
So, we are making some changes like, lift a little the radiator, adding a crosspice to add ridigity to the chassis, cut the front grille and mount the winch higher, and other stuff.
I made a lot of googling trying to find the bumper I like. It has to be simple, thin, light, a lot of clearance and nice looking. Finally, I make a mix of some bumpers I found, and this is the partial result. Please give me feedback, thanks.
Pato

motocross

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
nice winch setup i think the bumper would look cool if you added another tube under that one. thats just me though

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Looks pretty sweet. I gotta ask though, what are the holes/tubes you're putting in for?

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I saw those holes and thought there might be gun or something behind them! :icon_idea: haha

I agree, I think there should be something going out to/ under those tubes that go out to the corners. The just look like they would bend way to easy if you hit a rock or something.

Other than that, I think it looks great, good job.

camodown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hopefully you don't get to much front body flex since the bumper is so close to the body. Hate to see it crack that plastic

whitetrash96

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It looks very cool, different. The only concern I have when you go so close to the body with a bumper is the body contacts the obstacle before the bumper. I think its a fine line between approach angle and giving yourself some buffering room.

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like the bumper in the backround on the second to last pic!

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hopefully you don't get to much front body flex since the bumper is so close to the body. Hate to see it crack that plastic
It looks very cool, different. The only concern I have when you go so close to the body with a bumper is the body contacts the obstacle before the bumper. I think its a fine line between approach angle and giving yourself some buffering room.
I doubt that the body could flex enough there to be an issue considering how close the body mounts are in relation to the bumper. My only concern would be how high the winch is above the frame. For winching yourself, it may not be that big of an issue since most of the time you will be winching up, but if you have to winch down or winch someone else's rig up, it might be putting undue stress on your bumper and/or frame.

hick

jv982

Reaction score
Looks great! The only thing that would make it better would be a skid plate IMO.

Good job!:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Very nice! By Far the the best looking bumper i have seen so far! is anything going to be done to strengthen the sides? like maybe another piece of bent tube from the frame rail out to the tip of the upper tubing? possibly with plating between the two tubes to really tie it together?

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wasn't sure That I liked it at first. Now that it's finished it looks good. I would paint black the part of the fender/core support that used to be covered by the bumper.
I second the skid plate as well.

patov6

July 2007 TOTM Winner!
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I wasn't sure That I liked it at first. Now that it's finished it looks good. I would paint black the part of the fender/core support that used to be covered by the bumper.
I second the skid plate as well.
Thanx ;) Your advice about painting black is cool, you are totally right!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals