• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power Window Motor help needed

Mater

Reaction score
Nothing like a little drama… Anyway, can anyone help me with some advice on removing and/or repairing a power window motor on a 1987 Ranger? The motor spins but will not raise or lower the window. I have the door panel off but I can’t see if the gears are broken or even how to remove the motor for inspection. Can these be rebuilt or should I just plan on buying a new motor once I get it out?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
You gotta drill out or grind off those big pop-rivets, and remove the motor and regulator as an assembly. Sounds like all you might need is a clutch kit, unless you see where the regulator arm has popped out of the window's slide track. Good luck!

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
No way you'll rebuild the motor, but you really should make sure the rest of the mechanism works before you replace it.

I believe they are held in with pop rivets. You'll have to drill it out. You may be able to bolt it back in with a nut and bolt (I did that with a power door lock on my Exploder).

If you have a small mirror handy (a "dental" mirror or a small dollar-store makeup mirror) and a small flashlight, inspection may be a bit easier. You really want to inspect it fully installed and connected if it's even slightly possible. I suspect you'll find a linkage has popped out or broken, unless you can hear a grinding noise while it's operating.

quickle69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
my driver side mirror wont move, but when i hit the door panel switch i can here the relay clicking. Any suggestions?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, start a new thread. This one is about Power Windows.

Most power mirror problems are either the switch or the mirror.

If the other side works, it can still be the switch.

You could remove the door panel, make sure the switch and the mirror connections are good (at the very least disconnect/reconnect each several times to wipe the contacts) and of course, CHECK THE FUSE.

Welcome to The Ranger Station.

If you are convinced the mirror is bad, plug it into the PS and test it. Its only held on with three 10mm nuts. Couldn't be any easier to remove.
Be careful with the door panels.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
They are 11mm nuts, and there is no relay.

If you hear it clicking then your mirror is prolly stuck or a gear damaged. Either way, a new mirror is probably the answer. Plug it into the other side just to be sure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals