• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing Question

AQUADGIO1200

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello fellow blue oval guys.....i just purchased my new 08 Ford Ranger Sport Super Cab w/3.0 v6 & auto tranny a month ago. Im new to Ford trucks and would like to know if the Ranger will be able to tow a small to medium sized boat (aluminum 10-20 footer-or a fiberglass one of same length)? The ranger came with the tow package (class III hitch). I was reading the manual but got confused with the payload crap/gross weight stuff.....i didnt understand it well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
Well a standard class 3 hitch can handle a trailer of up to 5000# with 500# of tongue weight. As long as your boat, trailer and gear stowed in the boat stays under the 5000# you are safe on the hitch side.

Your manual should have a chart of what the maximum towing capacity is. This number will most likely be under the 5000# the hitch can handle but depending on trailer brakes and such can allow you to tow more.

Simply GCWR, is your Gross (total) Combined Weight Ratio, this is the total (sum) maximum weight of tow vehicle (with gear, occupants, etc) and the towed (trailer) vehicle. Stay under this number of pounds and you should be OK. Just be aware that most boat trailers have surge brakes (they are crap). And there will be a noticeable delay from when you hit the brakes and the trailer brakes apply. Kind of like the air brakes on a Transport. You need to be diligent in making sure those brakes are operating properly. If they fail you will jackknife at the worst, or find that it takes forever to stop.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
no boat trailer that small is going to have trailer brakes...nor will it need it. you are talking 2000lbs or so at the most.

your truck will handle the size of boat your looking for just fine.

heres mine:

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry Wicked, I am used to a 244" wb highway tractor with a 53' van behind it. I was just trying to explain about his hitch and trailering for some basic info.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
no problem...i wasnt trying to attack your post...just trying to make sure the OP has as accurate of info as possible :icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals