• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cordless tool battery repair

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Original Poster: ADSM08

Difficulty: 3 out of 10

Time to Complete: 15 minutes. I did it while making dinner and playing fetch with the dogs.

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Additionally you are dealing with a battery and heat. BE CAREFUL. Do not allow the iron to sit on the terminal longer than needed.

Brief Explanation: This is how to repair terminal connections on cordless tool batteries that may have been damaged. This applies specifically to the Snap-on 14.4V High Output battery, but may work for others as well.

In the case of my battery it would operate intermittently. Smacking it would make it work for a little bit, but it rarely stayed working for more than a few seconds. It was damaged after being dropped.

Tools Needed:
- Appropriate sized torx or screw driver
- Soldering iron
- Voltmeter

Parts Needed:
- Solder

---------------------------------------------------------

Steps 1: Open battery case. There is usually screw access from the bottom. The holes may be hidden under the sticker.

Steps 2: Identify the damage. This can be done by using a volt meter hooked to one tool terminal and the sides of the individual cells. Move from one to the other until you don’t read power.

In my case the solder points of the positive terminal had been damaged by the initial impact when I dropped the gun, and then broken completely by the vibrations of the tool.

Steps 3: Solder the damaged connector back together. Given the safety issues involved in soldering directly on a battery I made a big solder booger and flung it onto the counter to make it flat. Then I pulled the terminal up, stuck the booger under it, and held the iron on the terminal until the solder melted.

I did not take pictures during that part of the process for safety reasons. This pic was taken with the iron cold and unplugged.

Use your volt meter to test the battery across the tool terminals to make sure the repair is complete.
Then allow the solder to cool and put the battery case back together by reversing the process for disassembly.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nice write up. That's a common problem with batteries that have terminals like that. Cant even begin to tell you how many i had to fix when I used to rebuild batteries at work. And for anyone thinking about doing this do not ignore the safety issues mentioned in step 3. The way he described is the best way to secure the terminals if you dont have a spot weld machine.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
interesting, i think have a battery kicking around that wont take a charge. thanks ad

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Best part it, that battery would maybe work for 20 seconds at a time before. I used it all day today without a problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals