• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EEC/IV - TFI "code 18" solution

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Greetings all.

I've come across something somewhat weird. with TFI and EEC/IV on my 88 Ranger 2.9 that I would like to share (my luck this is a well known problem that "Everyone here already knows about:icon_confused:".

Anyhow here's the problem (see solution below).

Replaced the Stator and TFI on the above trucks distributor, truck started to run WAY better, BUT also started to code 18, and 42 (I won't talk about what 100's of codes the truck had before the replacement :icon_surprised:.

Anyhow, kept reading, and clearing the codes (KOEO is code 11 BTW) but KOER is 18,42 every time.

18 says SPOUT is open and IDM is mis-read (TFI pins 5 and 4 respectively)

The TFI module I had purchased from NAPA is grey where as, the original module was black...... (read on...:yahoo:).

It turns out that the Grey modules are "Push-start", where as the Black modules are "CCD" (Computer Controlled Dwell).

The picture below shows on the left, Push start (top is distributor mounted, bottom is fender or rad support style). right is "CCD" type, note the difference in pin 4 (Start in P/S, and IDM on CCD), BOTH do IDM, if you look at pin 2 on the P/S ones, you will see a 22k ohm resistor, this is the trick.

I simply cannot buy correct module (becuase the one I have I cannot return), SO...

I did the next best thing, I cut the wire on pin 4 about 3 inches from the distributor connector, and added the following,

A) a new wire going from the stub wire in pin 4 on the distributor connector, and ran it to the "R" terminal on the fender mounted start solenoid.

b) added a 1/2 watt 22K ohm resistor (covered the leads with shrink tubing) from pin 2 of the distributor connector, to the wire I cut from pin 4 (NOT the stub, instead,the wire from the harness).

This satisfies the EEC/IV's need for IDM, AND also satisfies the TFI's (Grey) need for a start signal.

A thing to note in all of this is the "start signal" pushes the dwell for a real easy start (trust me, the truck NOW starts GREAT ! :icon_bounceblue:).

All in All, IF one wanted the super easy start of this fix, one could actually do this mod,(By purposefully using the grey module in place of the black type (NO, it will not work the other way around) however I did it, because I was "stuck" with the wrong module and since I unknowingly installed it, it was not returnable, 120 bucks is what the correct module would have cost me (over the 85 I spent on the wrong one).....:beer:

Hope this helps someone

Greg

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for posting a solution as well as the problem.

Richard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals