• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L: How much coolant? What flush is best?

arownious

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, trying to flush the coolant today, need to know how much coolant the system + reservoir actually takes.

The previous owner looks to be running nearly straight water in the thing :bawling: and so Im going to go ahead and flush it and possibly run some CLR in it.

Anyone got a radiator flush brand they like?

Edit: I actually just found a lot of bad stuff about CLR and how it is an acid plus how it reacts to aluminum and iron. Yep forget the CLR part. What I did forget to ask however is where the drain plug is for the coolant?

Last edited:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Drain plug is at the bottom passenger side of the radiator.

I never have ran a "flush" through my system. Just undo the bottom rad hose and flush it out with a garden hose. Better yet, get what's called a flush kit made by prestone. Instruction videos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jcjwQXUiiM&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVWznOl-WZw

These are good because they are performed on an RBV.

For coolant, any old green coolant will suffice. If you are mixing your own use distilled water as it has no minerals in it. Minerals are the devil in the automotive cooling system and cause the buildup. Avoid using tap water.

I think 2 gallons will be more than enough.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
if it's not overheating don't flush it. i've seen radiators get plugged up too many times from someone trying to flush them. if you do decide to flush it make sure you have enough money for a new radiator. I'm not saying you're deffenitely going to plug it up trying to flush it, but there is a chance.

Last edited:

arownious

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure how flushing it would plug it? Anyways I'm worried about rust in the system as it is. Does flushing not help to remove that and built up crap?

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
If you try to flush it the water or flush could break buildup lose, but force it to settle together in bends of the rad, which will block flow.

Not definitely going to happen, but it is validly possible.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
drain is on the drivers side of a 2.3 ranger... take the thermostat housing off and flush it out with your garden hose, the gunk should come out the water pump.

should take about 1.5 gallons if I remember right, I think mine is up to about 2.5 gallons with the large explorer radiator.

pro2am

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I usually get one gallon of 100% radiator coolant and one gallon of distilled water and blend it to about 50/50. You end up with 2 full gallons, should be enough to fill up your system and the overflow bottle. Check it after a day or two of operation to see if you need to top it off.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals