Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Engine & Transmission Forums > Transmissions

Old 12-28-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
ncsdaonex

Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
ncsdaonex is on a distinguished road
Default how do you remove the pilot bearing?

i have a 1990 2.3 4 cylinder 2wd 5 speed, now i tried getting the pilot bearing out. i took off the flywheel. i took a screwdriver and a hammer and tried to beat it out, i probably shouldnt have done that. i broke out the little bearings, but the ring part of the pilot bearing wont come out so hoe do i get it out, i have a new one to put in
ncsdaonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 12-29-2008, 01:20 AM   #2
Sasquatch_Ryda
Coast Mountain Crawlers

Vehicle Year: 1991/2002/2008
Vehicle Model: Ranger/SportTrac/SuperDuty
I use this vehicle for: Play toy/Daily Driver/Tow Rig
Sasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Sasquatch_Ryda

try and find a bolt that fits inside the pilot bearing very snug, fill the hole will grease and then drive the bolt in with a hammer, should pop it out for you. Doesn't hurt to put a rag over it as you are doing it so you don't get a grease in the face.
1967 Mustang Coupe - 289, c4, pretty much stock
Sasquatch_Ryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
ForOffRoadDriving

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGER
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING A RANGER CAN DO, AND LOTS OF THINGS IT SHOULDN'T
ForOffRoadDriving has a spectacular aura aboutForOffRoadDriving has a spectacular aura about

yep, thats the method ive always used. i actually have a spare input shaft that i use, but its the same concept. it sounds like from your post you already have the inner race and the bearings out and now youre stuck with a stubborn outer race thats not wanting to come out of the flywheel. you can use a cold chisel and try to cut the race by beating it with a big hammer, or you can use a die grinder with a small bit and cut the side of it so that you can pry it out. hope that helps you out.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
greasemonkey01

Vehicle Year: 1990,1978,2004
Vehicle Make: All Ford
Vehicle Model: Bronco II, F-150,F-250 Super Duty
greasemonkey01 is on a distinguished road

Ok, here's how you can get it out... grab your MIG welder or ARC welder, crank that thing up and weld a bead around the entire face of the race. flip it over and smack it with a hammer. It might sound a little crazy but it works every time... The heat of the bead pulls the entire race inward and will actually shrink the race and will come right out.
greasemonkey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:24 AM   #5
4x4junkie
Mall-Rated

Vehicle Year: 1990,1994
Vehicle Model: Bronco II, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Crawling over things
4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all

How about find a socket or something that's just barely smaller in diameter than the bearing and just tap it out from the backside of the flywheel? Should be real easy since it's already off the engine.

'94 Ranger XLT
6" Skyjacker, ARB D44 front, Detroit 8.8" rear, Atlas 4.3, 33s
4x4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
MAKG
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Explorer
MAKG will become famous soon enough

Junkie's method is FAR easier than all the Rube Goldberg suggestions....

Put the flywheel on two wood blocks and tap the bearing out with a socket and a light hammer (no bigger than a standard claw hammer). Very easy, very quick, and doesn't require ruining your flywheel with a stick welder (it ain't gonna be flat after that....). Use the largest size that is smaller than the bearing 's outer diameter.

The grease method works if the bearing is in the crank and works a whole lot better for pilot bushings because they are airtight. If you try this on a flywheel, you'll just squirt grease all over the ground.

1990 VW Jetta GL, 1.8L 8V gasoline engine, manual transmission, painted in oxidized red paint and ponderosa pine sap, unknown mileage.

1991 Exploder, 4.0L, M5OD-R1 manual transmission, electronic BW1354 transfer case, 3.54 gears, 31 inch tires, icky two-tone blue paint with little clear coat, 230K miles.

1972 Chevy C-10, 250 I-6, SM465 (2WD) four-on-the-floor, 3.73 gears in a GM 12-bolt, puke green with a white cab. The "4 wheeled trash can," with x70K miles. x is probably 2.
MAKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
ForOffRoadDriving

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGER
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING A RANGER CAN DO, AND LOTS OF THINGS IT SHOULDN'T
ForOffRoadDriving has a spectacular aura aboutForOffRoadDriving has a spectacular aura about

I guess what we need to know is whether or not the pilot bearing is in the end of the crank or if it is in the flywheel? IIRC my 90' 2.3l had the bearing in the end of the crank and so does my 94' 3.0l. if that is the case then you cant hit it out form the back side cause you cant get anything in there.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
Mutant Pony

Vehicle Year: 1977
Vehicle Model: Pinto
I use this vehicle for: Mud racing/trails
Mutant Pony will become famous soon enough

This is NOT a cologne engine guys. The 2.3 pilot bearing is in the crank. Most of you that replied should know that. ONLY cologne engines have the pilot in the flywheel.
The first time I encountered a failed roller pilot I tried everything I could think of to get it out. I ended up using a diegrinder. That is how I've done it ever since.
There is a pilot bearing removal tool that fits on the end of a slide hammer. If you can borrow or rent one, it may work for you.

Last edited by Mutant Pony; 01-04-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Mutant Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
MAKG
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Explorer
MAKG will become famous soon enough

It sure sounds like he's trying to beat the pilot bearing out of something a screwdriver might be useful for....

FWIW, you can get a pilot bearing puller from Harbor Freight for $10 (or rent/borrow one). The business end is the same as those slide hammer ones, except it's a whole lot easier to control a screw puller than a slide hammer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4876

1990 VW Jetta GL, 1.8L 8V gasoline engine, manual transmission, painted in oxidized red paint and ponderosa pine sap, unknown mileage.

1991 Exploder, 4.0L, M5OD-R1 manual transmission, electronic BW1354 transfer case, 3.54 gears, 31 inch tires, icky two-tone blue paint with little clear coat, 230K miles.

1972 Chevy C-10, 250 I-6, SM465 (2WD) four-on-the-floor, 3.73 gears in a GM 12-bolt, puke green with a white cab. The "4 wheeled trash can," with x70K miles. x is probably 2.
MAKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
rneal55555

Vehicle Year: 2000 1999
Vehicle Make: FORD FORD
Vehicle Model: Ranger Super Cab Ranger Super Cab (sold)
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
rneal55555 is on a distinguished road

Last time I had to remove a pilot Bushing (not a Bearing) with out having a puller handy. I used a tap (which was handy) just screwed it in until it bottomed out in the hole and kept turning until the bushing popped out. The bearing race is a lot harder and I'm not sure the tap will actually cut threads in it, but if you get one that just barely cuts threads in it it might work.
rneal55555 is offline   Reply With Quote