• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how do you remove the pilot bearing?

Hawk1339

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FordFord
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What captanron said... The cheapie Harbor freight slide hammer. Part of the kit is an holder with locking pins and two different sizes of "fingers". I used the longer of the fingers, slid those inside the bearing one at a time, attached them to the holder, and with about three or four whacks the bearing came out. This setup looks exactly like the photo a couple of posts up.

mdknightman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I know this is an old post but I had the same problem.

I have a 93 2.3l with the bearing in the crankshaft.

I tried to rent a pilot bearing puller at O'Reilleys/Kragens like shown but it was too large to fit into the 2.3 bearing.

I tried the grease and bolt and it didn't work and I tried to colapse the outer shell and all I did was break off the outer flange and scar up the crank.

I went online and harbor freight had a puller set for 50.00 Slide Hammer and Bearing Puller Set Item #95987 http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-hole-bearing-puller-95987.html and I was going to have to order it online when I happened to go to my local Autozone and they had the samething for rent only there it was called OEM/Blind Hole Puller Set http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-Blind-Hole-Puller-Set/_/N-2647?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=blind+hole+puller&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=391362_0_0_

It was 171.00 deposit to get it (you get it all back- no cost to rent the tool) and even as messed up as mine was I was able to use the second size and put it all the way through the bearing expand it all the way, 2 slides of the hammer and it was out.

I worked on that thing for 4 hrs yesterday and today with the right tool it took me 5 min.

Like they always say it all comes down to the right tool for the job.

Hope this helps the next person down the line.

queequeg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
witness

Yes, I'll testify confirming midknightman's statement above.

If your Ranger has the needle bearing, as opposed to the simpler (better?) bushing for a pilot, and it has weathered a few winters like my '96 and his '93, there is no point in trying any of the other clever tricks. I have personally succeeded on a few other vehicles, including several massive 9L/18spd Freightliner diesel tractors, using the greazy squeezy gag mentioned a couple of times earlier in the thread.
Not so much here, though. The outer race of our Rangers' little pilot bearing is made of metal too similar to the crank in which it sits. Given a decade or so alone in there to find out how much they have in common, they've inevitably fallen in love and eloped to Seize-ville.
Save yourself a nightmare and a half by getting your hands on one of those cheap slide hammers before you even put your ride on the jack stands. I certainly wish I had done it that way.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, best rental ever is renting one of those after messing around the other ways... it makes you want to punch yourself in the face fir not just going out and buying/renting one to begin with.

Kevincoffey13

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Believe it or not loaf bread works better then grease. No joke and I used grease and the tap method before

Kevincoffey13

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You do the same thing as the grease and a smaller bolt then the hole in the bushing but use bread. For doubterslook it up on YouTube

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I generally use TNT, 1/8 stick.

Postin' from teh Galaxy

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Believe it or not loaf bread works better then grease. No joke and I used grease and the tap method before
F' that... I'm not wasting my lunch to get a pilot bearing out. :thefinger:

Kevincoffey13

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Lol I know a colonial bread rep so I get all the stale bread I want

Kevincoffey13

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Heck ima fat boy so I'd have to be hard up to use my actual sandwich

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals