• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

High mileage question.

BagoXCAlum99

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all,
Found a 95 Ranger STX 4x4 4.0 near me that I'm interested in. Only issue is the mileage (170,XXX). Should I let this scare me away? Any issues to look for? From the pics, it appears to be in pretty good shape. Not sure if I should pull the trigger, mostly due to the mileage. Obviously I'd have to drive it know what kind of overall shape its in. What do you guys think?

Matt

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
171,000 = high miles? Pshaw! That's just a little past the break in period. My 1998 has over 232,000 and runs like a top. I'd head out cross country without a second thought. Give it a good look over and roll forth!

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
My 94 Explorer has 228,000 with the original a4ld transmission in it. True it has lost some power over the years and could use a rebuild, but it still starts everytime...

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Build it, Break it, Re-build it stronger.
I pulled a 4.0 from a 1992 Ford ranger for my swap from a 2.9. When i asked he said the 4.0 had either 300,000 or 200,000, and it been almost a year since the swap with anywhere from 20-35,00 miles and I am NOT easy on this engine. This engine sees 5k shifts, red-lines, clutch drops, red light drag races, and SERIOUS off road abuse. And she cranks up every time first crank. I would have complete trust in this engine to get me anywhere I need to go. As long as you change the oil and do the minor maintenance this engine is about bullet proof as you can get.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2002 Explorer with 180K miles on it.

Someone once mentioned to me that they rather get an old car with high miles on it than low. The high miles probably means it has been driven. Driving is better than sitting where things tend to rot.

170K miles since 1995 isn't that many per year actually.

More than anything it comes down to how well maintained and how much rust there is.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
4.0l OHV is a good engine, 170k wouldn't be scary, but I wouldn't tell the seller that, lol.

Take a look at the rear spring hangers they get rusted out.

My '94 4.0l 4x4 is over 300k now, drive train and bottom end are still original, new clutches and brakes over the years and did have a cracked head after a water pump leak, my fault though.
Oh and new rear spring hangers :)

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Depends on the price, mileage goes up, price comes down check every thing, every button, tire wear thats uneven, like RonD says rust, flulids, you would be surprised how many times I have looked at a car and the seller wasnt smart enough, to change or even add the quart of oil that was need, walk away on these, if its an automatic, pull the dip stick and look at it, if not a clean bright red color then it hasnt been serviced, also smell the fluid it should not smell burnt, check for a tow set up, and a trailer or boat on the property, used to tow alot??? I my self never buy any thing with more than 80K but you pay alot more, but down the road it pays off, 300k on my 86 2.3 but she rattles

jhammel85

I think you'll be fine. Drive it and if it feels fine and runs fine, then it is.

4.0's are great.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My '94 4.0l 4x4 has 160,000 on it and so far so good.
I would definitely get under the truck and check it for frame rot.
The rear shackles and the shock mounts.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Look it over really good, if its the automatic transmission test drive it for an extended period of time, get it heated up, see if it starts slipping, dropping out of overdrive, etc. Check all the fluids, if the transmission fluid smells and looks burned don't walk, run away. Those transmissions aren't exactly the greatest and the slightest amount of neglect can mean a $3k+ transmission replacement. Also, don't rely on anything that the seller claims and says either, they're trying to unload something they don't want. Oftentimes they'll have stuff doctored up just to get the vehicle sold then you'll drive away and have nothing but trouble within a few days or weeks. Do your test drive at highway speeds, starts, stops, run it hard, etc. Don't baby it, you want the vehicle to be able to be driven hard, if it can handle that then you should be good, if it gives you problems during the test drive I'd walk away. Well unless you want a project truck LOL.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Saw a 1997 ranger in the pull a part that was turned in for cash for clunkers that had 328, 000 on the clock when they killed it. Made me sad. It was even an identical twin of my ranger.

Sent from the Galaxy to the interwebs

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
yep a lot of perfectly good vehicles were destroyed because of that stupid cash for clunkers BS. I bet that many of those new vehicles have already been destroyed or even repo'd once or twice already.

JackDW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Purchased an 03 w 4.0 auto about a 1 1/2 ago with approx 170,000 miles. Turned 200,000 this past weekend. Had a couple issues to begin with (which I knew about). Replaced alternator and radiator and one vaccum hose, also new plugs (olds ones looked good when I took them out). It has ran perfect ever since.

Front tires are started to wear on one side so I think I will just rebuild the front end when I get a changes. Hey, it has 200,000 miles so I can expect some thing to be worn out but it is manageable and not really expense if you can do the work yourself. Since Ford no longer makes the Ranger, what choice do I have but to fix it and keep going. I cannot replace it with a new one.

I would not be worried about 170,000 miles as long as it has had resonable service. Does not have to be perfect serviced, just resonable.

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Build it, Break it, Re-build it stronger.
It in really good condition, and the 170k I would say just past the break in stage. if everything working right, transmission, power steering, 4x4, and ect.. i would jump on it. It a nice looking truck and from the pictures it looks well taken care of for a truck with 170,000.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals