Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'RICO9'
July 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Cole' Dave'
July 2014 MTOTM

Old 03-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #21
itlives

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
itlives will become famous soon enoughitlives will become famous soon enough

I'm supposed to go back today. I'll take some pics. I remember the guy said something about SVO Mustang.
I'm taking a friend that knows a lot more than I do about these. he used to race dirt-track with Pinto's.
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #22
itlives

The new organ is here but not ready for the transplant - yet.

The adapter plate fits!

The head looks brand new! The cam isn't broke in yet. It (cam) has the numbers 1229 on it. Does that mean anything to anyone? The bottom end will have to be looked at before I put the engine in the VW.

There's a BIG difference between the 2.0 intake and the 2.3 turbo intake.

Can I put a carb on the EFI turbo intake?

The box between the two intakes says "Kent Cams" the number is CF12 and it is cam followers for 1600-2000. Any body need these? I also have a pressure plate that looks like a racing part. It is German made, I'll have to get the numbers off it tomorrow.

The guy decided to keep the turbo. I have the part that goes between the turbo and the intake.

Last edited by itlives; 03-06-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #23
itlives

Mark- After thinking about this awhile, I realize I'm going to have to get all the way into the engine. I'm sure the compression will have to be changed.

So, if I find a 2.5 crank (what years am I looking for?), do I use the same rods or the rods and pistons that come with the crank?

I've looked and can't really find this information...

Still no answer on the carb to EFI intake
Old 03-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #24
Mark_88
Einstein I'm NOT

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Multi-year Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Space travel
Mark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond repute

The 2.5 crank is apparently the same...the rods are a bit longer...but if you contact NAPA or other parts dealer they can give you the details. The sticky at the top of this forum goes into a bit more detail about the differences between the 2.5 and 2.3 engines.

And you are right about the compression. I heard that the turbo engine doesn't work well with a carb due to the higher compression ratio...but it can be done because when I saw your post with the pics I searched and found a few references to EFI to carb on a turbo motor. Wasn't a great deal of detail but one post did talk about the carb (Holley 750 or something).

You can use the bottom end of the turbo with a 2.0 or 2.3 head though...if the bottom end is good...if it's been bored over that's OK too...but it looks like the head was rebuilt...so I'd be tempted to use that if possible.

Not sure about using the turbo intake...I'm sure there is an adapter out there that will work or you can have one made...but if you can find an 86 EFI intake that is supposed to be the best from this line of engines...next would be the one I have or the OMC boat intake...there are others but finding them in the junkyard might be a challenge.

Edit: Just read another post by Scotts90Ranger and he says he is not that familiar with carbs...I will try to find a link to that post I was reading...but if you want to search on "turbo to carb" you will probably find the same using Google...

Rome and my Ranger were not built in a day...

Last edited by Mark_88; 03-07-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Mark_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #25
4b316

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: ranger
4b316 is on a distinguished road

Get the crank,rods and pistons from the 2.5(98-01).Compression in a 2.5 is 9.5-1,a little high for a street driven ride but you can get different thickness head gaskets.
4b316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #26
upnsmoke

upnsmoke will become famous soon enoughupnsmoke will become famous soon enough

You could get the pistons dished provided there is enough material in the crown. Shouldn't cost too much. Be sure to break that cam in right. As you may know already, those things can be easy to kill.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #27
itlives

Thanks for the suggestion upnsmoke. I think what I'm going to do is get pistons and rings for the 2.3L N/A and use them in this block.
Then, once I'm up and running, I'll take the 2.0L and bore it out to 2.3L , look for a 2.5 L crank,rods an pistons and take my time and build it right.

You guys have been invaluable to me in this project. I tried a couple of Mustang sites but they just didn't "feel" like this one.

I see how these engines are so popular. I had several people tell me I sould go bigger in my truck but I don't see any reason to since this 2.3 with a good carb and headers will have more tourque and almost double the HP as the POS VW engine!
No more aircooled for me!
If you want to see how I'm setting up the radiator, here's a link-
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewto...?f=19&t=138764
Old 03-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #28
upnsmoke

upnsmoke will become famous soon enoughupnsmoke will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
Thanks for the suggestion upnsmoke. I think what I'm going to do is get pistons and rings for the 2.3L N/A and use them in this block.
Then, once I'm up and running, I'll take the 2.0L and bore it out to 2.3L , look for a 2.5 L crank,rods an pistons and take my time and build it right.

You guys have been invaluable to me in this project. I tried a couple of Mustang sites but they just didn't "feel" like this one.

I see how these engines are so popular. I had several people tell me I sould go bigger in my truck but I don't see any reason to since this 2.3 with a good carb and headers will have more tourque and almost double the HP as the POS VW engine!
No more aircooled for me!
If you want to see how I'm setting up the radiator, here's a link-
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewto...?f=19&t=138764
Bear in mind that a 2.0 block can not be bored to 2.3 spec, or so I have read. If you want a separate 2.3 I believe you will have to find another block. That is easy enough, though. I love this forum. I honestly believe that, had I never discovered TRS, my truck would be a worthless pile of junk compared to what has actually become. Who knows, I may not even have it any more. That said, I was a member at Modded Mustangs for a while. Those guys were cool, but the 4 cylinder scene is small there.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #29
itlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnsmoke View Post
Bear in mind that a 2.0 block can not be bored to 2.3 spec, or so I have read.
From what I read here, you can't bore a Pinto 2.0 out to 2.3, but a Ranger 2.0 block is just an under-bored 2.3.

My other block is a Ranger 2.0.

I'll have to go re-read the sticky!

Edit: All I saw in the sticky is where it said 2.0 is an under-bored 2.3.
I think it was Mark that said a Pinto 2.0 can't be bored to 2.3L because the side walls would be too thin. (= different block).

Last edited by itlives; 03-09-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #30
scotts90ranger

Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Ford
I use this vehicle for: holding down the driveway
scotts90ranger is a jewel in the roughscotts90ranger is a jewel in the roughscotts90ranger is a jewel in the rough

you can't throw a 2.5 crank in a 2.0 block or any pre '89 2.3 block for that matter, the 2.5's are small journal.