Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'boneshaker'
March 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'one'
March 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Events - Recreation - Survival > Hunting, Fishing, Weapons & Survival

Hunting, Fishing, Weapons & Survival Discussing everything from equipment to what you caught.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #21
crawlin91

Vehicle Year: 92
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: running stuff over
crawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud of

Did you find a rifle yet?
crawlin91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & show your support? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Share it HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 11-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #22
4.0B2
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: Taking my Money
4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute

ain't really looked yet.. talked to several people local that have built/bought about them. i'm still in the research phase right now anyways. my truck will have its axles, tires, and winch before i get an AR
4.0B2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #23
crawlin91

Vehicle Year: 92
I use this vehicle for: running stuff over
crawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud ofcrawlin91 has much to be proud of

doing a sas?
crawlin91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #24
4.0B2
Premium Member

4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute

no, just d35 ttb to replace the d28. i've got most everthing i need. except some small odds and ends. mainly my money will be going to winch and tires before the AR.

i'm getting there tho.. college kid budget aint the best. but i make do
Old 12-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #25
blh0007

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
blh0007 is on a distinguished road

if you want the best for sure go with a lewis machine. they offer different cal. and you can have your whole gun built by them to your preference. for affordability you can use just about any brand lower but you should for sure go with their upper. http://www.lewismachine.net/. you are going to pay for it though... my bro has one and it is sexy... i have a rock river ar, which is a little bit more wallet friendly. I will go on and tell you if you are target shooting or varmint hunting an ar is pretty good, (i've got a eotech, bayonet, and a light for mine and i use it to hunt pigs at night) but if you are going to use it for larger game hunting then you may soon find that it isn't the real deal. 308 is a good all around gun for most hunting. 300 win mag or 300 rem ultra mag is best for long range like 1000 yards plus long range. don't let any of these dudes sway your opinion too much on here b/c they claim to know about guns. go with what feels comfortable to you (price and performance) most of these guys are your weekend warriors and they don't really know what they think they know. just roll with what you feel comfortable with. hope this info helps
blh0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #26
finn611

Vehicle Year: 1997
finn611 is on a distinguished road

I have 2 AR'S , I bought both guns complete from a manufacturer. I feel more comfortable owning/ shooting a gun that is built with one company's parts. Maybe that's just me. I have taken both of them and put my own twist on them but they are still the stock internal components.
Here's my first AR15, its an armalite. 556 then I installed a yhm freefloated quad rail, foregrip, and an eotec.

And here's my second, its a smith and wesson M&P15ps with the new piston system. Got the gunI the put magpul flip sights front and rear. A mueller red dot I had laying around, and I just ordered a yhm quadrail for it. The armalite is my competition gun right now but we will see what the M&P runs like after im done with it
finn611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #27
Nate W.
August 2012 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1990. 1989.
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT. Extra Cab. Ranger STX extra cab
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver, Wheelin'.
Nate W. will become famous soon enough
Default Nice project idea.

I've always loved the look of AR-15's. There is a lot of different customizations you can do to them. You can go all out, having a 20 pound full-on tactical beast, or a feahterweight, (Not sure how much they weigh stock But probably around 5-10 pounds?) With just a red-dot and a sling. Still gonna be quite a bit of cash though. Sure would be fun to build. Even more fun to shoot.

Oh, and on the .308 vs 5.56/.223 debate thing; The .308 would be slightly cheaper per box, but it would kick a hell of a lot more, be a lot louder, maybe a wee bit heavier, but it would destroy basicly anything you point it at. The .223 is just a little lighter to carry, has quite a bit less kick, but can't kill most things bigger than a coyote. To get it chambered in .308 can be a bit more expensive to buy also, unless you get one of those conversion kits. (Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere here please.) =)

Have fun with it though. I'll be looking forward to seeing it.

Last edited by Nate W.; 12-10-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Spelling errors.
Nate W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #28
The Jester Race
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle Year: 1987, 2006
Vehicle Make: Ford, BMW
Vehicle Model: Bronco II, 325ci
The Jester Race is a splendid one to beholdThe Jester Race is a splendid one to beholdThe Jester Race is a splendid one to beholdThe Jester Race is a splendid one to beholdThe Jester Race is a splendid one to beholdThe Jester Race is a splendid one to beholdThe Jester Race is a splendid one to beholdThe Jester Race is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate W. View Post
I've always loved the look of AR-15's. There is a lot of different customizations you can do to them. You can go all out, having a 20 pound full-on tactical beast, or a feahterweight, (Not sure how much they weigh stock But probably around 5-10 pounds?) With just a red-dot and a sling. Still gonna be quite a bit of cash though. Sure would be fun to build. Even more fun to shoot.

Oh, and on the .308 vs 5.56/.223 debate thing; The .308 would be slightly cheaper per box, but it would kick a hell of a lot more, be a lot louder, maybe a wee bit heavier, but it would destroy basicly anything you point it at. The .223 is just a little lighter to carry, has quite a bit less kick, but can't kill most things bigger than a coyote. To get it chambered in .308 can be a bit more expensive to buy also, unless you get one of those conversion kits. (Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere here please.) =)

Have fun with it though. I'll be looking forward to seeing it.
.308 cheaper then .223? Where?

There are no .308 "conversions". .308 has a greater OAL and require different(slightly longer) lower and upper receivers to accommodate the longer rounds. .308 AR rifles are affectionately known as the AR-10, or Remington's R-25 (.308, .243, 7mm-08).

-Jester
In Flames
The Jester Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #29
blh0007

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
blh0007 is on a distinguished road

i recommended lewis machine earlier...here is the link to one of their .308 ar's
http://www.lmtstore.com/complete-wea...ck-barrel.html

this is one of their top end ar's, but they do have others that are more affordable. oh and i didn't mention earlier, but it is definitely better to have a gas piston system rather than direct impingement.. basically when you shoot, direct impingement allows gases back into the chamber causing quicker wear on internal parts long term... the gas piston is designed to not allow the gases back into your chamber... also recoil and velocity can be slightly different b/t the two.
blh0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #30
4.0B2
Premium Member

bump...

looking more into building my own. come on guys... give me suggestions.
would like to start w/ a lower.

i want 5.56. 16" barrel. simple build.