• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AR15 Build

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
bump...

looking more into building my own. come on guys... give me suggestions.
would like to start w/ a lower.

i want 5.56. 16" barrel. simple build.
Suggestion? Buy mine.:thefinger:

You want to start with a lower? A lower is a lower is a lower. Find one with a roll mark that you like and buy it.

For an upper look at http://www.jsesurplus.com/ They usually have pretty good prices.

When looking at uppers/barrels think about what chamber you want.
For .223 there are 3 common chamberings.

5.56 NATO Chamber:
5.56 load is hotter than .223 Remington loads. A 5.56mm chamber is not as tight as a .223 Remington and will take the brass expansion and higher power load of a 5.56mm round. They are generally less accurate than a .223 chambered gun.

.223 Remington Chamber:
The chamber and throat are very tight and usually are more accurate. DO NOT USE 5.56mm Ammo in a .223 chambered gun.

.223 Wylde:
A hybrid of the .223 and 5.56 chamber. It has a slightly larger chamber and throat than .223 but not quite as open as a 5.56 one. .223 Wylde (IIRC) was made to shoot hotter loads in match grade guns. You can use either .223 or 5.56mm ammo in a .223 Wylde. A .223 Wydle is generally as accurate as a .223 chambered gun and more accurate than a 5.56 chambered weapon.

Then of coarse you have specialized chambers such as .223 Ackley Improved and wildcats based on the .223 such as 35-223, and 300 Whisper.

I run a .223 Wylde chamber.

-Jester

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
there's lots of good lowers out there.. check out midwayusa.com......they have a ton of different lowers and most have reviews.

i'm starting on my AR build when i get my tax return. i've decided on this upper:
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/519542/dpms-ar-15-flat-top-upper-assembly-556x45mm-nato-1-in-9-twist-16-bull-barrel-chrome-moly-matte-with-glacierguard-handguard

i'm gonna start with this lower (i think):
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/351431/doublestar-lower-receiver-assembly-ar-15-forged-with-6-position-collapsible-buttstock-matte

later on i'll switch out the trigger for a timney and probably get a new rail for the upper. i just want a basic rifle to start

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
There is a gun show here in Indy March 15, 16, 17. I might pick up an AR then. I am going with the 5.56 just bc that is what I was trained with and qualified on.

tgallmey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just sent in 2 Form 1s Fingerprint reference cards and a 5330.20 form along with a sizable check so now just going to be awaiting ATF approval to put a BCM 11.5 inch upper on my AR

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i get my Patriot Defense Arms stripped lower on March 3rd.
did a group buy w/ some local folks...

trying to figure out where to go from here... do i wanna buy a complete kit minus lower and just put it together? or do i want to buy it piece by piece. I think at my knowledge level i will get a kit...idk.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Make 'em yourself, I see people do it all the time on the tv :icon_twisted: :D

To me, the point of building something is to combine parts you can't get in an off the shelf package.

Knowing nothing about it I would rather peice it out with more optimal stuff if I was going to take the time to "build" it myself.

Maybe if you can get what you want in a kit for a decent price it would be worth it. I do know when it comes to things like say engine swap kits you get a bunch of medeocre stuff that accomplishes the task but you can do much better on your own for a lot less $$.

Research is key so you know what you want, what you can afford and what will work with what... and that is the funnest part of a "build" for me.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I think part of me wants to get a kit so I can have it done quicker.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
just get a complete upper, a buttstock and trigger assembly and assemble it from there

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
that might be the plan. think i might order my upper here in the next few days.

might pick up a lower parts kit from PDA when i pick the lower up.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i found a completely assembled lower (collapsible buttstock and some sort of generic trigger) from midway. i was thinking i'd get that and then find an upper to put on top. it would be a decent gun for $500-$600, i cant remember how much each was so it could be more like $650.

i'll probably switch out the trigger eventually and get a nicer buttstock

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

tpelle

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you decide to scratch build you will need, at minimum, a receiver clamp, a barrel nut wrench, some roll pin punches, and, if you are doing a collapsible stock, a stock wrench. You will also need a bench with a vise.

One thing I do to all of mine is to true the front of the receiver where the barrel installs. Brownells sells a tool which amounts to a lathe-turned bar with a shoulder on it where you apply lapping compound, insert the lubed bar in the receiver, then turn the shoulder against the front of the receiver - you can use a drill, but I just turn it by hand. This will correct any out of square condition that may exist due to the pulling of the aluminum by the threading die.. I have found this to be a cause of barrels being mounted pointing off to one side slightly, and requiring lots of clicks of windage to zero.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals