• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Filter Housing?

Calgathius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, under the driver-side door, attached to the frame near the fuel pump, is a cartridge-type filter. If anyone else has one, they'll know it as a round piece (much like an oil filter) that you unscrew the bottom part off of to get to the fuel filter.

Recently, I replaced this filter... and two days ago, the housing itself cracked and left me stranded in 100-degree humid weather just 7 miles from home. So far, I haven't been able to find out what this housing itself is called. In order to replace this part, I need to know what it is. Anyone got a clue?

Basically, it has 4 connectors on top of it where the fuel lines (both from the tank and the return line) connect. It's bolted to the frame with two bolts. It seems to have a couple of valves in it (both of which are broken in this one) that seem to serve the purposes of preventing back-flow and to release air to the return line so it doesn't end up back in the main fuel line. This may have also been a large part of my problems, to begin with.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
another victim eh? i just bought an 87 2.3 that didn't wana run, i bypassed that filter assembly with 2 inline fuel filters and its be working ever since. mine didn't have a filter in it to begin with when i bought it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's called many things.

A "fuel screener", is a common one. Most parts guys at the dealer will know what you want if you describe it. If they are worth what they are paid that is.

They aren't that expensive either, but cody's setup is pretty good too.

Calgathius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Ah... awesome. I may just do the in-line thing, since I happen to have a spare one. I'll see what happens with this in the morning. 100-degree weather sucks for being under a truck when you've no garage. :p

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My only caution with what Cody did is this: He has a 4 cylinder. You have a 6.

Part of the housing's purpose is to act as an accumulator. The in-tank pump doesn't spool up as fast as the rail pump on the frame. The 2.3 isn't likely to over draw the system, but the 2.9 can demand too much fuel too fast in situations where the throttle is snapped open quickly and bog the engine. The accumulator is there partially to provide the high pressure pump with something to draw from when the low pressure pump can't supply fast enough.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
On an '87 there isn't supposed to be a filter inside it

and they crack when reinstalled because when originally assembled there was
a point where they were ultrasonically welded, and that's typically where the crack starts after they are re-assembled.

The '87-88 "Reservoir cannister" has a bottom "cup" that is too deep for the '85-86 filter to stay in position without installing a spring under it.

There should only be a screen inside (if that)

The REAL filter is forward of the fuel pump up against the engine cross member.

AD

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The REAL filter is forward of the fuel pump up against the engine cross member.

AD
Yeah, but more filtration isn't exactly a bad thing.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
If there's already a filter in place, the only thing you're accomplishing is to create another point of failure.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If there's already a filter in place, the only thing you're accomplishing is to create another point of failure.
And, from that perspective, all Cody has really done is exchange one point of failure for another, more readily available point of failure.

Calgathius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm. I think I'll be looking for this part again. So while we're on this topic... is there, by chance, anything else that could cause the fuel line to be getting a ton of air? After further examination, I've observed the following:

Runs fine cool.

When the temp gauge in the cluster says it's half between cold and hot, the engine begins to lose power.

Checking the fuel bleeder under the hood shows an almost steady stream of fuel.

As the engine is continuously run, the bleeder begins to show a lot more air in the line, and the engine is pretty much stalling any time I try to move the truck.

After a time, the engine refuses to start, even if fuel is getting to it in between air bubbles.

Eventually, there completely stops being any fuel, and the air coming out of the bleeder is obviously still being pressured by the pumps.

Any ideas?

Edit: This was also happening before the canister cracked. I had just 'fixed' it temporarily by plugging the hole inside where the return line drops off into it before it continues back to the tank. It ran wonderfully after that... until it cracked. :p

Last edited:

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
if i had more fuel line and fittings i would have completly redone the fuel return and the section from the sender to the HP pump, i chose those inline fuel filters because they worked as a coupler :) the ones i used are the same as the main filter. be adviced tho, it wasn't a direct plug and play swap, there 2 sizes of connectors, one is 5/16, i believe the other is 1/4, so i had to swap some the connectors out to get it to work.. but on a plus side, its been working great eversince i did it, plus it would be easier to work on, incase something happened.

edit: air in fuel eh? sounds like your system is sucking up air. when i first reassembled my fuel system, it was full of air because i completly took it apart. i bled the air out by taking off the gas cap, priming the system by turning the key from off to run and then press the shrader valve until fuel came out. give that a try when ever its dry and yes a cracked accumulator will let air in. do you notice any fuel leaks? strong smell of gas? since you do have a v6, i may advise using the oem setup. its one thing for me to do repairs like this on my truck, but i probly shouldn't recomend this on someone elses truck if im not 100% sure they can handle it.

Last edited:

Calgathius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Update

Well, I finally tracked down the proper name for this part - it's called a "Single Function Fuel Reservoir" and, apparently, it's definitely necessary for the the fuel system to function properly in 1983-1989 model 2.9L V6 rigs. The downside is that no automotive parts dealers (including Ford, themselves) carry this part. The upside is that there's apparently a Ford-only junkyard in Denver I can visit that will likely have it.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Your Ford dealer didn't look hard enough.

They are out there, you just gotta find them.

Calgathius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Eh... even if they did have it, they'd probably want to charge me some outrageous price like they tried to do with the ignition control module. Can you believe that wanted $220 for a piece of hardware that I found, brand new (not a refurb) at an AutoZone for $40? Yeah. My dad just told me over the phone day before yesterday that he went looking for a part for his '89 Cougar (yeah, I know.. Mercury... same thing as a T-Bird, though) and they wanted $195 for, he got for $30 from Advance Auto, so... I don't care much for the dealers.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
the only motocraft parts i buy are oil filters...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals