• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what axle to swap

dinosore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey all this will be my first axle swap. I have a 92 sport 2wd. It has 7.5 with 3.45 for gears. I've got it leveled up front with new shocks the whol way around, 15x7's with 235's and now need to change my gears up. Obviously a rear axle swap is easier then the re-gearing. I know I need 4.10 for what Im running based on articles on the site. But confused on what to look for and need some direction if possible. So far I believe I am in the market for an 8.8 with 4.10 for gears and if I can get one off an explorer I'll yield the benefit of disc brakes...although IDK how much more work the brake line issues and such would be...so what are my options for doing this axle swap?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
The Explorer axles are set up for spring under, while the Ranger is spring over. So you would need to weld on new perches. If you are looking for ease, get one out of a Ranger. I honestly don't know what all is involved in the Explorer axle swap with the brakes, and e-brake set-up. If you search the site, there are quite a few members that have performed this task.

The benefits of the Explorer axles are the brakes (as you know), but it also is a 31 spline rather than 28. They are also a touch wider, approximately 1 inch.

EDIT: I forgot the 92 was a little more narrow than the 93+ so the Explorer would be 3 inches wider than yours. Check this out:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Explorer8_8.html

Last edited:

dinosore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay so thats more work then I am able to do in terms of fabricating ( i dont weld and friends who do live across the pacific). So a 90-92 ranger 8.8 rear with 4.10 it is and it should bolt right up corrects. Thanks for the link shane and Im still trying to get my hands on a decent taurus fan...but saw a bunch of explorers at the yard which is how I began this axle swap journey as well.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

dinosore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
even if i find a ranger 8.8 it will bolt up directly drive shaft and all correct? Thanks adsm you always answer short direct just what i need

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
On a 92, it should.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You need to stay '90+ for the driveshaft to bolt up, the older ones used a smaller flange and U joint

For 235's I ran them for a long time with 3.73's (heck, ran them with 3.08's too), if you have a 2.3L 4.10 would be recommended (and any 4x4 2.3L ranger will have that combo), probably not a worthwhile swap to jump from 3.45's to 3.73's though...

dinosore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
stoked found an 8.8 posi with 4.11 off a 91 for a decent price. Gunna pick it up tomorrow and begin the axle swap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals