• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Blowin out header gaskets ?

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
So I'm so tired of blow out gaskets on the passenger side flange . Flange is thick and seems to set flush from the naked eye but has to be some what warped or the header bolt holes are not large enough and hitting the sides of the flange when tightened down . I've checked length since I've replaced half the bolt with chevy bolts do to falling out over time . I've locked tighted everyone since then and re tightened. I don't have flex pipes yet and so the exhaust is pretty stiff including mounts . Anyone else have this kinda issue and figured out a solution that worked .
Ive been using paper and composite type gaskets and even doubling them up . Today I saw a set of solid aluminum gaskets . Mr gasket 7401g anyone use them . There $30 so I may just give them a try and see

faststang90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I use copper ones for years with out any problems and I have pulled the headers off a few times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Well bought the mr gasket 7401g . $25 installied last night in the rain . Hasn't stopped for 2 1/2 days now here in central Texas . Feel for them on the coast

ick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I use remflex gaskets and like them. I think they have a warranty/gaurantee.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Using paper style gaskets on exhaust are not very robust and doubling them is just more layers to leak between.

I always use metal exhaust gaskets on all my custom car builds and have never had any issues doing so.

Although the mustangs guys seem to use the Remflex graphite gaskets pretty commonly with success, the Trickflow/Cometic Steel gaskets or even just copper rtv by itself.

I have the Trickflow/Cometic multilayer steel set for my motor but the truck is not on the road yet, so I can't say how well they seal.

But on a steel block and quality Metal or maybe a Remflex gasket if you end up still having issues I would suspect that the header flange is not a 100% flat and maybe you should have them checked and if needed machined flat to make sure before hassling with having to replace gaskets multiple times.

Last edited:

mavereq

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Have the flange machined flat. If you're blowing head gaskets that much on a non turbo setup, you might have too much restriction in the exhaust. Had a 460 keep blowing gaskets until I removed the cats.

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
It 2.5 straight pipe from the tri-y's back to flows exited before the back tires out the sides . Think I need to go to 3" ? It's a stock 96 5.0 expo with just headers, cats deleted and home Cai . Sucky thing is I can't remove the headers with out either cutting them out like I did to install or removing the engine . They double paper idea was a coworkers that did it to his sbc so we tried . Worked longer the expecting the air blowing out this last time . I've tried the graphite composite set also and same thing . These crush aluminum gaskets are way thicker and solid layers . Could barely fit the gaskets in between the flange in the head . Had to use a lil longer header bolts to get it tight enough to get the others in . So far so good .

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It 2.5 straight pipe from the tri-y's back to flows exited before the back tires out the sides . Think I need to go to 3" ? It's a stock 96 5.0 expo with just headers, cats deleted and home Cai . Sucky thing is I can't remove the headers with out either cutting them out like I did to install or removing the engine . They double paper idea was a coworkers that did it to his sbc so we tried . Worked longer the expecting the air blowing out this last time . I've tried the graphite composite set also and same thing . These crush aluminum gaskets are way thicker and solid layers . Could barely fit the gaskets in between the flange in the head . Had to use a lil longer header bolts to get it tight enough to get the others in . So far so good .

There is no way that dual 2.5" straight pipes dumped out the sides with no cats is causing to much back pressure on a stock 302, that is plenty of flow.

The new metal gaskets may very well solve your issue, if that doesn't do it then it pretty much has to be warped header flanges. Sucks it would be such a massive task to get them out to fix if so.

Good Luck let's hope this fixes it!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals