• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Suspension too soft

camelman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I recently bought a 1997 Ford Ranger 5-speed xlt with the 2.3 and 175,000 miles. I replaced the original shocks because they were shot. However, there wasn't really any improvement in the ride. It is still way too soft and has entirely too much body roll.

I installed cheap Monro-matic shocks from O'Reilly's, so that could be the reason for the mushy ride. However, the springs also seem too soft. I can shake the entire truck up and down about 5 inches with one hand, and it only take a couple pulls on the fender to do that.

I plan on installing a rear sway bar to help with the body roll, but I think the front and rear springs are too soft. It seems that every related post I find is about the ride being too STIFF, not too soft. Any thoughts on how to stiffen the ride up? Thoughts on the shocks I bought?

The truck has axle code 86 (open 7.5" 3.73) with the three-pack leaf springs. All springs (front and rear) appear unbroken.

Thanks,
Camelman

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
Probably just need new springs. Shocks absorbers are for absorbing shocks and dampening the bouncing motion, the springs support the vehicle itself. I have a 1999 and have done a T-Bar crank (front was 4" lower than the rear original springs) and replaced the rear springs with an added leaf. Springs don't last forever. I put Monroe Sensatrac or whatever they're called in as well and eventual had to deal with the springs. Kinda nice taking off ramps without feeling like I'll roll over now.

camelman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply. That rolling feeling is unnerving on the twisty mountain roads in CA. It seems that leaf springs will be less resistant to loads as they flatten, so I will probably get complete new spring packs. Any thoughts on the 3/1 (1250 lb) versus 4/1 (Heavy Duty) units found here:

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&inc_subcat=1&categories_id=681&year_select=1997&make_select=622&model_select=8219&x=96&y=13

I've seen posts that increasing preload on the torsion bars will increase front end stiffness and ride height. Can I rely on a t-bar crank to restore stock ride height, or is there a benefit in replacing the old coils? I'm assuming my truck has sagged over the last 175k miles.

Thanks,
Camelman

Last edited:

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Your truck doesn't have torsion bars. Rangers up to 97 had I beam suspensions, using coil springs only. In 98 they began using A-arms with either coils or torsion bars.

You'll need to get new springs to get your ride height and quality back. I'd get a set for an extended cab, 2wd, 4.0 ranger. Those will have a stiffer spring rate to accommodate the added weight.

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I installed the HD springs and I really like the added stiffness, extra load capacity, and the added rear height. See http://imgur.com/a/WpQR8 <== CLICK
But to reduce body roll, you might want to invest in a sway-bar, esp. one that's larger diameter than stock.

camelman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
CVAR, thanks for the link, that's a great writeup. Are you happy with the springs you purchased, and did they come with everything needed for a spring swap? I intend on replacing my springs, shackles, u-bolts and spring/shackle bolts. The hangers look fine on my truck.

A swaybar is definitely in my future. I need to tow a trailer somewhat often, and don't want it swaying around on me. My truck didn't come with a swaybar from the factory... I'm going to wait on the front springs until I've rebuilt the rear.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Those shocks are shit, but they won't cause the ride to be mushy. Shocks only dampen vibrations caused by a stiff ride. Shocks cannot make a ride mushy, they can make it shitty, or they can do what mine do and let it set up a vibration that shakes the wheel all over when you get on a patch of road that is just right.

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
CVAR, thanks for the link, that's a great writeup. Are you happy with the springs you purchased, and did they come with everything needed for a spring swap? I intend on replacing my springs, shackles, u-bolts and spring/shackle bolts. The hangers look fine on my truck.

Thanks. Yes, I'm very happy. That spring kit included absolutely everything, even all the Grade-8 washers. It all bolted in easily. They sell complete kits and partial too. I already had a sway bar, as you can see in photos.

Like this: http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/products/Ford_RANGER_HEAVY_DUTY_Leaf_Spring_Assembly_Kit_Complete_INCLUDES_8_ROUND_U_BOLTS_fits_2_1_2_Wide_Leaf_Spring_SHIPPING_COST_FOR_SPRINGS_ONLY-2171-157.html

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals