• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 EFI gas mileage question...331 stoker

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
heres my combo...94 x cab ranger,331 stoker EFI,big valve mild ported E7's, explorer intake,comp HR10 cam,1.7 rockers. 70mm throttle body, 24 lb injectors,c&l mass air meter,10 deg base timing.AOD trans,dana 20 transfeer, 8.8 with 4.10. 33 inch thornbirds. fuel pressure is at 40 lbs with vacuum off at idle. 255 lph pump.
NOW, hopefully i didnt forget anything. i didnt expect great mileage, but 10mpg is absolutley killing me since im driving really easy and not even really using the motor at all. it sees MAYBE 4000 on occasion. ir runs fine and everything is great, but sucks fuel like no tomorrow. anybody else have a similar combo to compare? i figured with EFI it would at least get 14-15 being easy on it. that would make me happy actually

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well i just may have found something. i was sitting here thinking and it hit me that i never did put a BAP sensor on the truck at all. went and looked and sure enough found the BAP sensor harness plug hanging. havent drove it yet but i hope this fixes something. im not sure how critical this thing is but i know it has some to do with fuel metering i think.

GETUSUM

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
well i just may have found something. i was sitting here thinking and it hit me that i never did put a BAP sensor on the truck at all. went and looked and sure enough found the BAP sensor harness plug hanging. havent drove it yet but i hope this fixes something. im not sure how critical this thing is but i know it has some to do with fuel metering i think.
I dont think that will make the mileage go up much. What is your A/F ratio at idle? Ever been tuned? Another thing that kills it is the aod and big tires.

Pt_Ranger_V8

FullsizeFreakin'
U.S. Military - Active
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
19 something
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
and the fact that you're running a big cammed stroker motor - I bet 15 will be the best you can do.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
actually i think its helping...i havent filled back up yet to check, but it seems im going farther than i used to so far. im thinking with that unplugged the ecu goes into a default 'rich' code. it doesnt seem to be running as fat now.i dont smell gas anymore while driving. i know 15 is the best i can do, i just want the 15 and ill be super happy. 10 is total crap with me being easy on it. it does seem to operate much smoother now. i will find out the truth soon enough though

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
Dump the thornturds for some radials... like some 33x10.50 or 9.50 BFGs... That will reduce the rolling resistance and improve mileage some.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
yeah ,thats the next step actually. already though about that. gonna wear these out first though

mudranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm getting 17-18 highway out of the 5.0 HO w/a carb, 32" BFG muds .410s and a locker with an AOD.... (as long as I keep my foot out of it).... So even with the cam, some more streetable tires should help you get 15....

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well as of now, im getting about 12. still aint great but i guess its what i got. i may have comp grind me a better cam to suit the truck. this cam seems to have more top end power than bottom, which is exactly oppostie iof what i want. that may help as well. iva also got 1.7 roller rockers on it. i may swithc back to 1.6 and see if that makes a difference

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You wont have a "Lot" of bottom end on any 302 based motor as far as i have ever seen. Just my .02 though

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ehh. i disagree. unless i dont know what you mean by ALOT

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well after many hours of testing wires and sensors and ohmmeters i have determined that my eec is bad. i was getting a lean 02 code so it was dumping fuel to it. i changed the eec to another A9L and it straightened it out. it even starts and runs when its cold now, where as it wouldnt before

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
huh? right now i have 19 lb injectors with a stock mustang MAF, but i also have a C&L meter to go with 24s ill put back on probably after i see what mileage i get with these. the MAF was not the problem . the eec was crap and wouldnt read 02's so the eec was dumping fuel on it trying to correct a lean condition that wasnt there

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals