• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Timing Cassettes ???????

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Do it right the first time !!!!!!!!!!
Does anyone know when Ford changed to the upgraded timing cassettes in the 4.0 sohc engine ? Mine was built in May 2004 and I would like to know if I should look into replacing them , I'm going to be handing this ranger to my daughter and I would like it to last for her when I'm gone. The motor has the May 2004 sticker on it. Please if your not sure please don't guess, I really need a informed answer . Thanks guys, You all have been a great help to our family by helping figure out some of the questions that we have ask. Thanks again.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There can't be a "this is the date" answer because there was never a problem :)

And it wasn't a 100% failure for all 4.0l SOHC engines before 2003, which is why it wasn't a "Ford problem".
From 1997 to 2002 was the highest incident of timing chain rattles.
My "guess" is the 2003 got the newer design, but.................while incidents in '03/'04 models are not common, they did happen.
From 2005 and up it is a rare occurrence.

So 2004 probably won't have the problem, but a 12 year old car or truck will still have problems.

4.0l SOHC thermostat housing would crack and leak, good How-to here: http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/

Last edited:

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
There can't be a "this is the date" answer because there was never a problem :)

And it wasn't a 100% failure for all 4.0l SOHC engines before 2003, which is why it wasn't a "Ford problem".
From 1997 to 2002 was the highest incident of timing chain rattles.
My "guess" is the 2003 got the newer design, but.................while incidents in '03/'04 models are not common, they did happen.
From 2005 and up it is a rare occurrence.

So 2004 probably won't have the problem, but a 12 year old car or truck will still have problems.

4.0l SOHC thermostat housing would crack and leak, good How-to here: http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/
The truck has less than 28000 miles and has always been maintained with only the best Ford has to offer , so being 12 years old doesnt mean anything in this situation . Ford did have a problem sometime early on with them and did a change some time in the early 2000s.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It was an actual problem, since Ford did issue a TSB about it at some point (No I don't remember the number). It did pertain only to the 97-02 Explorers, and it was to replace the tensioners only, before attempting the cassettes. The tensioners were the real issue. They would get weak and allow the chain to slap (the rattle), which would eventually break the guide.

The issue did persist into the 03 and 04 model year, as Ron said it was a rare failure in the 05 model year, but the revised part wasn't introduced at the plant for an official "in production" fix until 2006.

Good oil and filter does significantly reduce the risk on this occurring, as the rear tensioner is the most common one to have go, and it is the last thing fed by the oil system.

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
It was an actual problem, since Ford did issue a TSB about it at some point (No I don't remember the number). It did pertain only to the 97-02 Explorers, and it was to replace the tensioners only, before attempting the cassettes. The tensioners were the real issue. They would get weak and allow the chain to slap (the rattle), which would eventually break the guide.

The issue did persist into the 03 and 04 model year, as Ron said it was a rare failure in the 05 model year, but the revised part wasn't introduced at the plant for an official "in production" fix until 2006.

Good oil and filter does significantly reduce the risk on this occurring, as the rear tensioner is the most common one to have go, and it is the last thing fed by the oil system.
Thanks adsm08 ,that is the info that I was looking for , I have always used motorcraft oil and then after 10,000 miles I switched to Castrol 5/30 full synthetic and always motorcraft filters
, so it looks like I should be safe and will wait till the engine needs something serious before replacing the tensioners . The damn thing only has less than 28,000 on it and has only had to have the harmonic balancer replaced and of course the crank sensor. Thanks again

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
From my observation the 2001 Rangers had the most problems with timing chain problems. The 2002 Rangers still had some problems pop up but considerably less. Each year after that the problems became less frequent.
I am at 209K miles now on my 02 with no timing chain issue. I did replace the tensioners at around 100K miles because I found them at a decent price and thought it would be good preventive maintenance. The original ones were still like new though. I have run synthetic oil and Motorcraft filters since the first oil change.
I plan on keeping this Ranger a long time and hope the timing chains do not become a problem. I would still replace them and continue driving it if they start showing signs of failure.

Last edited:

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
From my observation the 2001 Rangers had the most problems with timing chain problems. The 2002 Rangers still had some problems pop up but considerably less. Each year after that the problems became less frequent.
I am at 209K miles now on my 02 with no timing chain issue. I did replace the tensioners at around 100K miles because I found them at a decent price and thought it would be good preventive maintenance. The original ones were still like new though. I have run synthetic oil and Motorcraft filters since the first oil change.
I plan on keeping this Ranger a long time and hope the timing chains do not become a problem. I would still replace them and continue driving it if they start showing signs of failure.
I knew there was a problem with them and you and adsm08 seem to know of the problem unlike one answer that said there was never a problem . I wish people would just keep their uninformed answers to themselves , I did ask for informed answers and no guess work, I guess some people just have to get their post count up .Thanks guys

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I knew there was a problem with them and you and adsm08 seem to know of the problem unlike one answer that said there was never a problem . I wish people would just keep their uninformed answers to themselves , I did ask for informed answers and no guess work, I guess some people just have to get their post count up .Thanks guys
Ron D is actually quite knowledgeable about most things. This is one of very few areas where he and I disagree, and it is largely a matter of semantics. I (and others) say there is a problem because this is a known issue and there was a TSB about it in early years. Ron says there is no issue, not because the parts never go bad, but because there was never a recall or new part number and a less than 100% failure rate.

My personal experience of seeing vehicles with current issues, or evidence of repairs, says from 97-01 there was about a 75% failure rate. Going forward it seems to be between 10-20%, but seems to vary by model as well. I have never seen a Mustang or Ranger with issues, I have seen many 3rd gen Explorers/Sport Tracs with the rattle or broken chain guides, and only one big-body Explorer with noise.

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Ron D is actually quite knowledgeable about most things. This is one of very few areas where he and I disagree, and it is largely a matter of semantics. I (and others) say there is a problem because this is a known issue and there was a TSB about it in early years. Ron says there is no issue, not because the parts never go bad, but because there was never a recall or new part number and a less than 100% failure rate.

My personal experience of seeing vehicles with current issues, or evidence of repairs, says from 97-01 there was about a 75% failure rate. Going forward it seems to be between 10-20%, but seems to vary by model as well. I have never seen a Mustang or Ranger with issues, I have seen many 3rd gen Explorers/Sport Tracs with the rattle or broken chain guides, and only one big-body Explorer with noise.
Sorry about the short rant , just not a good day .

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ford had TSB for 1999 to 2002 4.0l SOHC engines regarding "possible" timing chain issues, I think TSB was dated from year 2006 or 7
The "never a problem" comment was tongue and cheek, car makers, any car makers, blame end user for lack of proper service before admitting a possible design fault.
And according to Ford 1997/1998 or 2003/2004 4.0l SOHC would never have this problem, or they would be included in the TSB :)

This issue was too common to be totally a lack of end user care.

Only disagreement I have is that "the problem" did occur even with proper care, 1997 to 2004 4.0l SOHC engines were prone to timing chain failures, whether it happened or not was more "luck of the draw" than care.
Proven, IMO, by the lack of this problem from 2005 to 2012 4.0l SOHC engines.
Unless people who bought 2005 and up Rangers just take better care of them, lol.

Didn't mean to mislead you with the "there was never a problem", sorry

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Only disagreement I have is that "the problem" did occur even with proper care, 1997 to 2004 4.0l SOHC engines were prone to timing chain failures, whether it happened or not was more "luck of the draw" than care.
Unless people who bought 2005 and up Rangers just take better care of them, lol.

In this regard I would like this issue to the cam phaser problems on the 5.4.

The issue at hand is due to a design issue with the part that starts the failure, but since they are in the oil system lack of maintenance can exacerbate the potential for failure. Extra maintenance probably won't prevent it if it is going to happen, but proper care might push it back a bit.

I don't go all out on oil changes. I just avoid the cheaper oil/filter sales and make sure to use only Motorcraft filters and oil. I have a combined 300k miles on the two engines I am responsible for with no issues so far.

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Ford had TSB for 1999 to 2002 4.0l SOHC engines regarding "possible" timing chain issues, I think TSB was dated from year 2006 or 7
The "never a problem" comment was tongue and cheek, car makers, any car makers, blame end user for lack of proper service before admitting a possible design fault.
And according to Ford 1997/1998 or 2003/2004 4.0l SOHC would never have this problem, or they would be included in the TSB :)

I'm sure if the thing is going to break it will happen to me. Didn't mean to upset anyone ,my attitude needed adjustment and things have been a bit on the down side lately. I apologize for my crappy comment . :sorrysign:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals