• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spark plugs on Drivers Side

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Spark plugs on Drivers Side and Transmission Fluid

I've replaced the spark plugs and wires to the coil pack on the passenger side. I can't seem to figure out where the coil pack is for the drivers side set of spark plugs. I saw a video from a 99 ranger and all 8 spark plug wires came to both coil packs underneath the intake breather tube. I only have one coil pack under the breather tube. The plugs are still in place on the drivers side.. So where do the wires go? Supposedly a lot of emissions parts have been taken off this truck, maybe the 2nd coil pack was taken off too? Can anyone help out? Here are some pics.

Last edited:

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
I believe I have found it underneath the intake manifold, almost directly below the alternator. What a tight squeeze. Any pointers for getting to the coil pack? Remove intake manifold?? Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Never looked at '91 2.3l coil pack placement, but yes that looks like a PITA to get to.
I guess you just have to start removing parts until you can get to it.

Would removing and moving alternator, power steering pump be better.
Is there access from underneath?

Last edited:

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Loosen the serpentine belt. Loosen the bolt attaching the alternator to the top bracket. Remove the bolt holding the alternator to the power steering pump. Rotate the alternator upwards and to the passenger side. You should have better access.
The alternator will pivot neatly on the upper bolt, which is likely a 5/8". You will need to unscrew it several turns, but it should then move, though a bit stiffly.
tom

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
I didn't take anything off. It was definitely at PITA. Spark plugs boots kept breaking/tearing. Finally got them all done. Thought I was gunna have to take it to a shop a few times. Glad I got er my self :)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

WarHawk-AVG

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Semper Fi
Is that the 4 spark plug or 8 spark plug? If 8 both coil packs are under air breather tube...

Underneath intake manifold is the fuel rail and injectors

Sent from my 9006W using Tapatalk

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Good work :icon_thumby:
Thanks again brotha. How do I find out what transmission I have. Is there supposed to be a tag on the transmission?
I found this article here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ManualTransmission.html
Nothing indicates 2.3L It only specifies to (4 cylinder motors)
I would assume I have the M50D-R1
I'd like to drain and re-fill the transmission fluid. Looks like atf mercon, correct? I have an account with Amsoil, I like their stuff. Any recommendations on fluid?

Is that the 4 spark plug or 8 spark plug? If 8 both coil packs are under air breather tube...

Underneath intake manifold is the fuel rail and injectors

Sent from my 9006W using Tapatalk
Correct, fuel rail and injectors are under the intake manifold. The coil pack for the drivers side spark plugs are also on this same side. The spark plug wires have to be fished around the fuel rail to get to the coil pack. I accessed the coil pack through the fender well. Unbelievable..

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, '91 2.3l would have M5OD-R1

You can look here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axle_codes.shtml

This is for axle codes, which is also good info to know, but if you look at the drivers door sticker shown in this article, next to AXLE code, you will see TRANS code.

Yours should have an M there, as shown in your posted link to transmissions

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Yes, '91 2.3l would have M5OD-R1

You can look here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axle_codes.shtml

This is for axle codes, which is also good info to know, but if you look at the drivers door sticker shown in this article, next to AXLE code, you will see TRANS code.

Yours should have an M there, as shown in your posted link to transmissions
Door panel shows M for Trans. 87 for axles. Thanks for that info Ron. So I've looked up info on various Trans fluids. I could go with a plain jane conventional Trans fluid, but I'd like to put the best I can if I'm going to do it. I've read that it HAS to be Mercon, not Mercon V. A lot of the Amsoil synthetic fluids are multi-vehicle specific.. Stating Mercon, Mercon LV & SP - Mercon V specific. Others praise the Redline MTL, but that seems to be a gear oil / transaxle type of lube. Isn't this a bad idea? I'll also drain/fill the transfer case with whatever fluid I get for the transmission.

Which one these fluids would you recommend?
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/automatic/
I would guess any of the the blue bottles, but all the types of Mercon have me confused.
Also, I currently have 2 quarts of the OE Multi Vehicle at my disposal.

If you can recommend a better fluid than these, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
I just read an article that explained since 1997 or something like that all Mercon fluids are the same now. I just picked up some Amsoil Dexron VI, Mercon LV & SP, Toyota WS fluid. I used the rest of the multi-vehicle Amsoil I had laying around and then used the newer stuff I just bought.

T-case fluid wasn't too bad, it still had a red tint to it. Transmission fluid was brown and gold. Still smelled good, but was definitely worn out. Routing the hoses to get some gravity flow into the fill holes was fun. Transmission I went through the shifter boot, and T-case I went between the cab and the bed.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals