• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 2.9 no spark

naeve44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So its a 86 ranger 2.9l. New coil cap and rotor. I have power coming out of coil to cap but no spark. So I think its the distributer and I'm wondering what it takes to get it out. I read the Manual and its vague on actual removal and cannot find a you tube video. I'm not a car mechanic dont like working on cars but I do work on Dirtbikes and I do Hvac so I have mechanical skills. Do you have to remove fuel injection manifold to remove the distributer? Any help is much appreciated!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So when you turn over the engine the coil sparks?

Is the distributor turning, i.e. remove cap see where rotor is pointing and crank engine briefly to see if it changes position.

The distributor is held down by 1 bolt at it's base on the block behind intake manifold.
The bolt is loosened to adjust spark timing, or removed all the way to remove distributor.

After bolt is removed distributor, shaft and gear will lift out of the hole, it can be a tight squeeze with firewall.

Distributor is timed with the Cam so must be re-installed with correct timing.

naeve44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The rotor does spin when motor is turned over. So I guess taking it out is next. I know how to do the tdc for removal and timing. Thanx for the quick reply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If rotor turns then distributor is OK.

TFI system is most likely problem.

Have a read here on testing it: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

The TFI module is often the cause of no start, but they will usually start showing signs of failure when heated up, i.e. you stop after driving for 10-15 minutes, and then engine won't restart right away, TFI module cools off a little and works again.

To time a distributor from scratch you need to find Top Dead Center for #1 piston on compression stroke, you do this by removing #1 spark plug and rotating the engine clockwise using a socket on the crankshaft bolt(removing all spark plugs makes this much much easier).
Use a pressure gauge on #1 spark plug hole or use your finger, rotate the crank until you see/feel pressure pushing out at the spark plug hole, this is the start of #1 compression stroke, continue to rotate crank until the timing mark on the pulley and Timing chain cover are lined up at 0deg.
Install distributor so rotor will line up with #1 spark plug wire on the cap.

Distributor shaft also powers the oil pump, so if distributor drops down but not flush against the block, then rotate crank 1/2 turn in either direction and back to TDC mark, distributor should have dropped down all the way now as it is now hooked into oil pump drive.

Then you need a timing light to set base spark timing, snug up the bolt holding distributor so it can't move easily, find the SPOUT Connector, usually on lower intake passenger side connected to distributor/TFI wiring, it is a plastic jumper, pull jumper out of connector.
Hook up timing light to #1 spark plug and battery
Start engine, loosen distributor bolt and move distributor to set base spark timing at 10-12deg Before TDC
Tighten distributor bolt, shut off engine
Reconnect SPOUT
You are done

Last edited:

naeve44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks on info. Replaced distributed and checked tfi and it was fine truck fires up great now thanks for all the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

Thanks for posting the fix

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals