• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

High Idle,Hard Start Hot

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
My trucks been running decent until day before yesterday after getting gas it took three long tries to get it started and I had to give it some gas pedal so it would start. Now it idles at 1300,it fires right up when fully cold,cranks awhile after cooling off an hour or so but don't wanna start if it only sits a few minutes like when getting gas. I checked for vacume leaks and found none,reset the ECM and it made no change. It also seems to be doing worse on gas mileage. It has 173,000 on it and I have changed a lot of parts already.....I pulled the vacume line off the EGR and it seemed to have pressure instead of vacume. Any ideas?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Have you gotten anywhere on this? Bad ECT has similar symptoms of what your describe. Has it been replaced recently, and have you checked the computer for any codes?

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
ECT is coolant sensor right? I changed it awhile back. I took the IAC off yesterday and cleaned it out....no change,maybe a little worse. I don't know about codes,no CEL but that don't mean much. Also...when in 1st gear at real slow speed like in a parking lot it's been jumpy sometimes,today the idle did slow to 1000 but only for awhile. The IAC was new also but I'm wondering if it has gone bad.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ok.....put the volt meter on and checked the codes. The first time I got a 51....ECT on the engine off test. Cleared codes then went to town and got gas and it seemed to have codes on the key on test but they was kinda jumbled. But on the engine on test it gave me a 21...also ECT,which I had replaced but I couldn't find the receipt to see exactly when I changed it,it's been around a couple years. Good old chinese parts...NOT!

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
21 KOER is usually the engine not being up to temp, but it's possible that it's pointing to another issue. Hard to speculate, but hard starting when the engine has been setting for 15 minutes has been a symptom. But it's entirely possible it's not directly the issue.

51 is kind of interesting, it's going to be kind of tricky to do, but I would definitely try and check the ref voltage and the signal versus temperature with a meter.

http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=28

Functioning CELs were 88' and on up, so nothing to let you know.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Pete...thanks for the info and the answers to my posts. I went to that site and copied down the graph for the voltages and ohms. I went and got a new sensor but I checked the old one first,I couldn't get test leads on it with it on the motor so I removed it and got 68. ohms resistance,the new one read 26 (at about 75 degrees air temp) put er back together and it runs and starts good again. :) note: the first one I got was all plastic...I'm thinking I got it at O'Reilys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals