• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to me 2000 Ranger- got a few questions!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Did you watch the Youtube video the Gear Drive is broken you can buy a whole new motor or or just repair the Gear Drive there's more information on the post you made about it also

askthemasses

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yea, ordered a new motor. Figured that'd be easier to just replace than disassembling the old motor. I;m a rookie.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
You really can't go wrong by getting a new motor they seem to have slightly more torque but don't quote me on it. Lol,

there doesn't seem to be any point in changing the whole lifting mechanism because nothing seems to make a difference to how much friction it takes to push the window up and down, the grease helps a little bit, but it's really all about the torque of the lifting arm and the motor.

One good thing about just changing the motor, it doesn't matter where the window is although it should be all the way up when you do it, and hold it up there with tape.

askthemasses

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Unrelated to everything else but the engine light was going so I had the car parts shop pull the code. Bank 2 Sensor 1 O2 sensor. They cleared the code and sold me the part, but I still failed emissions because I haven't completed a drive cycle? Something about the fact that the car was sitting for so long before I bought it.

ANYWAY I hate this O2 sensor. I have tiny lady hands, no idea how big dudes do this one. The folks at the shop told me it'd be the passenger side forward sensor, but the internet told me it'd be the driver side forward sensor... REALLY hope I didn't just do that for nothing. No CEL when I started the car- we'll see what happens with some driving!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
You should gloat a little if you changed that yourself, they are a beeeeach! 4.0 bank 2 is driver's side (left)

askthemasses

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Know what else is a beeeyatch? Getting a wrench stuck on your tensioner pulley and trying to use another wrench on the first one to pull it as hard as you can away from the fan and the wrench you're using to leverage the other wrench comes loose and smacks you in the face and slices you open just below the eye and you bleed all over your radiator but don't go to the hospital because you still have a pulley to replace.

Then to spend 20 minutes banging on a rotor trying to break it free only to realize that just because my LAST car didn't need the hub nut removed doesn't mean THIS one doesn't. Pin out, nut off, rotor off.

I call that 'good learning'.

Got the new idler pulley on, fuel filter, brake pad/rotor/caliper on one side. Gonna do the other side tomorrow and the wheel bearings on both. Shop was out of a lot of stuff today but I got done what I could.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals