• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Automatic acts like a straight drive

opie1969

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2002 ranger 2WD with a automatic trans. The problem is that sometimes when I am coming to a stop the truck will act like a straight drive and die like I did not push the clutch in and the overdrive light will start flashing but I can let it sit for a day or so and it will do fine for awhile. Is there sensor going but or something else?:icon_confused:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like the torque converter clutch isn't disengaging like it should. A flashing OD light means the trans senses a problem and is storing a DTC in the computer. Use a scan tool (one that can read transmission codes, not all of them do) to see what the code is, and go from there.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Exbass is right. The lock-up clutch in the converter isn't disengaging. You let it sit for a day, things cool off, and whatever is making it stick is letting go.

Get the codes, maybe get the fluid changed if it hasn't been done in a while. Every 30,000 miles is the recommended interval. Try to find a place that uses a BG or Total Trans Service (TTS) machine. Those will give the best results because they use the transmissions fluid pump to do the exchange.

In the mean time, throwing it in N as you come to a stop should keep the engine from dying.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Before you come to a stop shift the transmission out of overdrive. Or dont shift into overdrive in the first place. The TC lock-up engages with the OD to help with pulling and fuel mileage.

v8318cid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone know if the T/C engages in any earlier gears? I have seen other vendor trans that engage in 3rd, or even 2nd if cooling is needed. For example, I have an 08 Impala that shifts : 1st -> 2nd -> 3rd -> 50% lockup (varies with load) -> 4th/OD -> Full lockup.
Percentages are estimates, but you can watch the tach change as if the trans were a 6 speed even though its only a 4. BTW, GM 4t65e is a piece of crap...24k miles and it started slipping.

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I test drove a 96 ranger with a 4.o and 4 speed auto. Norml driving it locked up in 3rd(dr) about 40 mph, then shifted into 4th(od) around 50mph and kept the converer lockd. The truck was geared high so im sure ithappens at aloer seed in other trucks.
If i went full throttle from a stop, it shifted into 2nd gear at 45 mph, then lockd the converter around 50 mph.

I dont know what u mean about the converter being locked 50 %? I believe its eather locked in or unlocked. If the converter is locked and slipping your gona burn the trans real quick.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals