• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duraspark Problems

Abernathy311

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9
Transmission
Manual
I am doing a Duraspark conversion in my 1985 Ford Ranger. I Have connected everything and my engine wont't even crank. I connected it using the 84 method on the tech article, because my truck has the transmission from a 84 and its emission standards are for a 84 according to the sticker above the radiator.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Normally if it started and ran before you did the swap then it's most likely something you did or didn't do. Not trying to sound mean, but you have to go back thru and check everything you did. Could just be a bad connection somewhere. Did you do the trouble shooting tips in the tech section too? Did you have the harness for the swap or make one? New Dizzy? I did mine from the tech page and it fired right up and ran well. So just go thru it again and double check and let us know.

Abernathy311

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9
Transmission
Manual
I got the loom and parts from a 84 ranger with the conversion. Both ran before the conversion.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
So is it even clicking on the starter? Or nothing when you turn the key? Try to describe it more. Nothing means it's not getting power to the starter. Battery good? Gotta be in the wiring. Solenoid good?

Abernathy311

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9
Transmission
Manual
I hear nothing when I turn the key. I jumped the solenoid, but it didn't engage the starter. The solenoid fired though.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Really sounds like a wiring issue to me. Grounds all good on the Starter? Pull it and bench test it if the grounds are tight. When it quits raining here I'll take some pics for you of the wiring. But it should've been all plug and play mostly. You made sure you only removed unneeded wires right? Post some pics of what you did if you can.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Did you follow the wiring diagram and instructions for your 85. They have different wiring than an 84.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Abernathy311

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9
Transmission
Manual
I removed the unnecessary wires. I don't have the wires and/or plugs that the tech article describes for the 85 conversion. So everything is rigged up for the 84 conversion.

Abernathy311

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9
Transmission
Manual
Would there be a possibility that the red/light green wire would be a different color. I have traced the wires using the TFI module, the coil, and computer. All the other wires seem to be in the right places. There is a yellow with blue marks wire that goes to all of the same places as the red/light green goes in the diagrams.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals