• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Twister 85 B2 Build

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
The np435 puts the shifter forward. Remember, the 300, 302 and 351 all share the same bellhousing bolt pattern so any trans from them will work along with any fullsize transfercase on them except broncos which have there own unique transfercase bolt patterns. I almost got a 5speed out of an f250 but due to them having the bw1356, which requires notching the frame, I settled for what I got that doesn't need frame notching. But nothing says you can't switch out transfercases either.

Sent from my SGH-T499 using Tapatalk 2

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Heres a link to a thread I made in the v8 conversion section, it may answer alot of questions that you may have. Im still updating it as progress progresses on my build.

http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118592

Plans are after my swap to condence it and hopefully put it as a sticky or something on here.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What yards did you see those trucks in, i frequent both u pull its and i don't remember seeing any new body style f150s, and if i see one it is an auto. I know a 5sp from an older truck would work, but don't those ones put the shifter farther in or something, i thought that is why people suggest the one form the 97 and up v6.

And sorry, i am keeping those valve cover, they are freaking awesome :headbang:
The two U-Pull its, one north of the Quest center and the other down on 60th. Don't bother for a little while, I was watching for you when I was there this morning... all they had was automatic V8's. I have seen manual V6's there before though. You can put the top cover and shifter assembly off the 97+ transmissions onto the older trans and get the same result but with easier to find parts.

If you are needing a shorter FEAD there was a 94 or 95 GT in the one north of the Quest center, I am fairly sure it would would work with yours. When I was shopping for a shorter setup I was told that it would work with my stock harmonic balancer, and since I think the water pump is the same length as yours it would work with yours too. Might check into it a little, the getcha is I think yours may be the different balance engine so if you gotta swap the balancer (and if yours is not a 50oz balance engine) your are out of luck. You would need the timing cover, water pump and obviously the brackets and accessories if it would work.

I don't know what color the interior is to your other BII but there was a EB BII that took a HARD roll in the same yard with really neat floor mats. They said Ford Bronco II and had the bucking horse, they were tan though.

I don't blame you any on those valve covers, they are pretty cool. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The two U-Pull its, one north of the Quest center and the other down on 60th. Don't bother for a little while, I was watching for you when I was there this morning... all they had was automatic V8's. I have seen manual V6's there before though. You can put the top cover and shifter assembly off the 97+ transmissions onto the older trans and get the same result but with easier to find parts.

If you are needing a shorter FEAD there was a 94 or 95 GT in the one north of the Quest center, I am fairly sure it would would work with yours. When I was shopping for a shorter setup I was told that it would work with my stock harmonic balancer, and since I think the water pump is the same length as yours it would work with yours too. Might check into it a little, the getcha is I think yours may be the different balance engine so if you gotta swap the balancer (and if yours is not a 50oz balance engine) your are out of luck. You would need the timing cover, water pump and obviously the brackets and accessories if it would work.

I don't know what color the interior is to your other BII but there was a EB BII that took a HARD roll in the same yard with really neat floor mats. They said Ford Bronco II and had the bucking horse, they were tan though.

I don't blame you any on those valve covers, they are pretty cool. :icon_thumby:
So if i get a manual out of a 94 f150, will the shifter be in the wrong place? Another question about the transmission, can i use the stock cross member or am i going to have to make a new one? I found a guy on craigslist selling a manual from a 94 f150.

Subscribed! Good work!
Thanks man :icon_thumby:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I havent seen anybody use the stock one but I have seen alot of custom ones that vary in design. Im going to be making a hybrid of the full size and the ranger one if the ranger on wont do the job.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So if i get a manual out of a 94 f150, will the shifter be in the wrong place? Another question about the transmission, can i use the stock cross member or am i going to have to make a new one? I found a guy on craigslist selling a manual from a 94 f150.
All you would need is the 97+ shifter and you would be good to go. Out of either a 2wd or 4wd will work.

Depending on how things play out you may be able to reuse the stock crossmember, I was able to reuse mine with slight modification and I even used existing holes in the frame (I suppose from when the C5 was an option)

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
All you would need is the 97+ shifter and you would be good to go. Out of either a 2wd or 4wd will work.

Depending on how things play out you may be able to reuse the stock crossmember, I was able to reuse mine with slight modification and I even used existing holes in the frame (I suppose from when the C5 was an option)
Thanks.

Do you guys think $400 is to much for a transmission, the salvage yard i was going to get the M5OD from the v6 wants $400, and i think they give you a 90 day warrenty. If i cant find one on craigslist i might buy one of those. I dont really have time to go to u pull it :sad:

90rangerSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bet that muffler sounds frigging awesome

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If its the transmission and transfercase then maybe. If it does come with a transfercase then which one would it be?

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
If its the transmission and transfercase then maybe. If it does come with a transfercase then which one would it be?
That would be just for the transmission.

Well i found a guy on craigslist selling a 5 speed from a 95 f150, he wants $200 for it, i am gonna see if i can get him down to $125-$150. I also found a guy selling a bg 13-56 transfer case for $50, would that be a good one to use?

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You will have to notch your frame to get that transfercase to fit as they are huge, unless the BII frames are wider. When you get a transfercase, get one with a fixed rear yoke, will make life easier for you. I got the np208 and it has the rear slip yoke on it but nothing I havent figured out.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well i am going to look at a 5sp from a 94 f150 tomorrow, and when i get my next check from work ill be ordering the oil relocation kit and the motor mounts :yahoo:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What mounts are you going with?

If I had to do it over again it would be V6 mounts with plates...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals