• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Twister 85 B2 Build

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I'm still having a last second debate on to use the mustang mounts or going with the plates. The plates do look like they would allow for a quicker cleaner install and dont have to "guess" on where to drill/cut onto the crossmember plus will allow for the engine to sit lower and thats always a plus having a full size transmission and no body lift.

I'm going to have both options at the ready more or less.

Sent from my SGH-T499 using Tapatalk 2

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
What mounts are you going with?

If I had to do it over again it would be V6 mounts with plates...
I was planning on using the convertable mounts, i havent looked much into making plates, the only problem with is i dont really have a way to cut them out.

Well i got the transmission, the guy i bought it from was a huge ford guy, he knew what he was talking about. It is from a 94 f150, had about 130k miles on it. He said he did regular fluid changes in it, and by the looks of the inside i would say he was telling the truth. He took $150 for it :headbang:

Here are the pics

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's a good score. Now to decide on the transfercase you want. If I could go back I would get the np205 due to you can due stick it (read up on why I.e. google search that) but the down side to that is its low range is only 2:1.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
That's a good score. Now to decide on the transfercase you want. If I could go back I would get the np205 due to you can due stick it (read up on why I.e. google search that) but the down side to that is its low range is only 2:1.

A lot cheaper than the salvage yard thats for sure. I haven't decided on the transfer case, i am looking into them. I dont want one that i have to notch the frame for, and the gear ratio isn't a huge deal, because i dont wheel much.

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The only one im told that you need to notch the frame for is the bw1356. The np205 is small but due to the case being made of cast steel, it's a heavy pig and will need a support bracket for it. The np208 has rear slip yoke, at least the ford ones do, but can be converted to a fixed yoke a few different ways if you desire to do that.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The only one im told that you need to notch the frame for is the bw1356. The np205 is small but due to the case being made of cast steel, it's a heavy pig and will need a support bracket for it. The np208 has rear slip yoke, at least the ford ones do, but can be converted to a fixed yoke a few different ways if you desire to do that.

I am thinking maybe a np208, a slip yoke doesn't really bother me, and like you said it can be converted.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you are needing a shorter FEAD there was a 94 or 95 GT in the one north of the Quest center, I am fairly sure it would would work with yours. When I was shopping for a shorter setup I was told that it would work with my stock harmonic balancer, and since I think the water pump is the same length as yours it would work with yours too. Might check into it a little, the getcha is I think yours may be the different balance engine so if you gotta swap the balancer (and if yours is not a 50oz balance engine) your are out of luck. You would need the timing cover, water pump and obviously the brackets and accessories if it would work.
Scratch this, the pre 50oz balancer is much smaller than a 50oz balancer... unless infact you have a 50oz engine.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Scratch this, the pre 50oz balancer is much smaller than a 50oz balancer... unless infact you have a 50oz engine.
How do i tell if i have a 50 oz engine, and how do i tell if my FEAD is to big or will work?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can fit the large v-belt FEAD under the hood of a ranger. But the question comes down to what rad are you going to run, what fan and if you want to cut your front core support.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
You can fit the large v-belt FEAD under the hood of a ranger. But the question comes down to what rad are you going to run, what fan and if you want to cut your front core support.

Currently it has a serpentine belt setup. I am going to run a 4L rad i have, and i was planning on running a Taurus fan as a puller.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can get that whole setup to fit. And you will have more room if you want to trim your core support a bit to tuck the 4L in it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can get that whole setup to fit. And you will have more room if you want to trim your core support a bit to tuck the 4L in it.

Looks like a Fox setup, no way it will work with a puller fan without moving the radiator ahead... unless the fan is really thin, I had 1/2" between the WP pulley and radiator in its stock location. I picked up a Fox FEAD on a whim because the front of the car had been ripped off and it was easy to get at, same depth as what I had.:annoyed:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/28738_ford_basics/photo_03.html

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Explorer one. It will give you one belt that can run everything. But you have to change the water pump, timing cover alternator bracket, alternator, etc....alot of stuff.

Im also told with the exploder FEAD, you have to notch one of the brackets to get the dizzy in.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 94-95 Mustang is close to the same length as the Explorer, still have to change a bunch of stuff but you can keep the harmonic balancer.

I am going to get hooking up the Explorer FEAD stuff next so I can tell you first hand how that goes. One thing I really like about the Explorer setup is the alternator and PS pump bolt on and are easily removable. With the traditional pivet bolts in the Rangers shallow engine bay you start having conflicts with stuff in front of the engine (like the radiator) It is really annoying to have to to pull the radiator to change the alternator and when you are running a pusher fan like me you have to pick on the transmission coolers, efan and grille... not much of a quick roadside fix.

Of all the stuff that changed going to the Explorer setup, the power steering pressure line has me the most nervous.

You could probably make what you have work, you will have to move the radiator either way. I picked up an inch and a half of room with the Explorer pump which brought me up to two inches between the pulley and radiator... you will need more than that for a Taurus fan. I did sneak a flex fan in there.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals