• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spray paint dash?

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
There are like streaks sort of on my dash, I have this can of Rustoleum hammered black finish and was wondering if I should spray paint the whole thing :)

1988 Ford Ranger XLT

can supply pictures if needed

already have entire dash torn apart, so that's not a problem.

I just feel like I should do something while I have it all torn apart.

DarkBlue03XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I used duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint on my dash, its been good so far but i haven't driven the truck hardly at all, its just been sitting in storage, i got it from autozone

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
Be sure to tape off everything! Use adheasion promoter and clean thoroughly. Once that is done it will look good and last. Now gloss black may look better. It will dust off & clean easier unless you are going for a certain look.

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Be sure to tape off everything! Use adheasion promoter and clean thoroughly. Once that is done it will look good and last. Now gloss black may look better. It will dust off & clean easier unless you are going for a certain look.
But it will show any dust at all. will look will good when clean if you like to clean your truck daily. Just like my black stang looks good for a hr after it is washed but after that it looks dirty all the time.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
But it will show any dust at all. will look will good when clean if you like to clean your truck daily. Just like my black stang looks good for a hr after it is washed but after that it looks dirty all the time.
so maybe i should go with the hammered finish instead? i can't imagine it would be a very glossy finish, if anything it would be pretty flat, and my dash now is pretty flat, and i rather like it.. i don't want somethin shinin in my face haha

don't need anything i can see my reflection in or anything :icon_twisted:

Ranger97XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would advise against gloss, the last thing you want is glare on your windshield, that's why I never understood the people who armor-all the shit out of their dashboard:icon_confused:

I used a flat black vinyl & fabric from AutoZone and did the entire interior, except the seats, it turned out pretty good, except for the top of the doors where no matter what it starts to flake, I can't seem to be able to get all the oil out of the plastic :annoyed:

only half the dash is done but these are the only one's I got

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I would advise against gloss, the last thing you want is glare on your windshield, that's why I never understood the people who armor-all the shit out of their dashboard:icon_confused:

I used a flat black vinyl & fabric from AutoZone and did the entire interior, except the seats, it turned out pretty good, except for the top of the doors where no matter what it starts to flake, I can't seem to be able to get all the oil out of the plastic :annoyed:

only half the dash is done but these are the only one's I got
i didn't want to do gloss... it's a hammered finish, so i assume it'd be like pretty flat. idk really.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i didn't want to do gloss... it's a hammered finish, so i assume it'd be like pretty flat. idk really.
it's not flat, it will still reflect a fair amount of light. i painted a valve cover with the same stuff.

if you want to paint it, get some satin or flat black.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
it's not flat, it will still reflect a fair amount of light. i painted a valve cover with the same stuff.

if you want to paint it, get some satin or flat black.

okay thanks, but that looks nice btw lol.

i just figured now that i have my entire dash apart, i should do something lol.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
got my speakers put in, and want to get my dash painted... there is nothing else black in my cab, so i'm not worried about it matching or whatever...

do i need to prep the metal in any way?
it's the FURTHEST most piece of the dash, where the dash speakers are, it's a metal piece, also has the attachment screws with the defroster vents.

so any sanding/priming/cleaning?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I painted my dash with a flat black paint...looked good, but there was still considerable glare...I just used fine grit sandpaper to rough up the surface then used that primer/scratch filler and let it dry before applying the paint...

In order to reduce the glare I ended up putting a rubber mat over the center of the dash...one of those mesh type things...it worked out good...but I didn't glue it down and it flops around sometimes when I turn on the defroster...

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ranger97XL, what was the paint you used on yours and how well is it lasting?

c0ld

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My dad painted his dash yesterday with an ultra flat black type paint and there absolutely no glare. I'll see if i can get a pic of it tomorrow.

c0ld

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual

Thats what it looked like when it was done and the paint that he used.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals