• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

P1401 code won't go away

LAndrus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My 99 Ranger threw a P1401 code. I replaced the DPFE sensor and was able to drive for 3 days and it threw the code again. I replaced the sensor with another new one, drove for ~150 miles and the CEL came back on again. How do I proceed from here?

MrDonivan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
[watching & waiting]

I have a similar situation with a code unable to be cleared.

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I found that MotorCraft DPFE part lasts years longer than other aftermarket ones. Also, replace its 2 hoses. Other than replacement, it's time to bring out your voltmeter, and start DPFE tests.

Code p1401 means DPFE signal voltage is beyond spec (over 4.0 volts)
when EGR is open (ie, at open throttle, not at idle).

Some reading material for you ...

See
http://www.tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt35.pdf
http://www.tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt36.pdf

Testing EGR, EGR solenoid, and DPFE sensor:
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford_egr_test/ford_egr_valve_1.php

Other Rangers with p1401:
http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126690

BWDuty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
P1401 my fix

I wanted to add my experience, since this code has been hounding me for quite some time. I tried all of the usual fixes first of course.. Replaced the DPFE with one from a junkyard. That didn't work, code came back as soon as I cleared it. Broke down (figuratively, this never actually rendered my truck inoperable. Even when I had the DPFE sensor completely unplugged) and bought a new DPFE sensor, and those things aren't cheap for a 2000 2.5L. I think it set me back over $70. That still didn't fix it. After doing quite a bit more research, I found that the EGR system could get clogged with carbon build-up which has been known to trigger this code. Just to be completely safe, I replaced the EGR valve itself, the EGR tube, and cleaned the ports they connect to really well with carb cleaner. Reset the code, and bam right back on.

I had already visually inspected all of the wires, but since the code itself makes me thing electrical I decided to go a bit further. I very gently tugged on the wires coming out of the harness that plugs into the DPFE sensor. One came out with absolutely no effort, and another came out fairly easily. I suppose this could explain why replacing the DPFE sensor "fixes" the problem temporarily for some people. Handling the harness when unplugging and plugging it in might give the wire just enough contact for a little while.

The parts store wanted over $30 for a new harness, so I went around at a junk yard until I found one in which I could tug all three wires fairly aggressively and they were in there really well. Unplugged the harness, cut off enough wire to splice it to my old wires, and the problem has been fixed ever since for $2. Well, at least I have a whole new EGR system now! I guess that can't be bad for mileage.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals