• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trouble replacing water pump in '02 3.0lt Ranger

kbanes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am trying to remove the old pump. I have the radiator out, as well as the shroud. I can't get the fan/fan clutch shaft separated from the water pump shaft. My shop manual shows a big honking wrench (they call it a fan pulley holding wrench) hold the pulley steady while another wrench loosens the fan shaft.

My problem is that there is no flat on the pulley or water pump shaft for me to get the fan pulley holding wrench on. The pulley is perfectly round, and the water pump shaft is round. No flats.

I have the fan pulley holding wrench that I checked out from my outparts store.

I tried a strap wrench on the pulley, but it won't hold.

Any idea on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for your time.

kbanes

coffee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It can be a big pain but you can do it. Those strap wrenches can slip. I used a piece of my old belt with some large vise grips. Also, the fan has reverse threads. In otherwords, righty loosey, lefty tighty. Good luck.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
The fan pulley wrench goes around the 4 bolts that hold the pulley to the water pump.

Last edited:

kbanes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
On my truck the 4 bolts that hold the pulley to the water pump are inside the pulley. You can't get the wrench on them. I am going to try to install some studs coming in from the back side and see if I can use the wrench that way.

kbanes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Missed that while I did search yesterday. I never searched on fan clutch.

Anyway, I had success by removing the 4 bolts in side the pulley, screwing 2 studs into 2 of the four bolt holes from the back side of the pulley, and holding the pulley tight with the fan pulley holding wrench that I rented from the auto parts store.

I still couldn't break the fan shaft loose (I actually rounded off one of the flats trying to break it with a crescent wrench). A quick trip to Sears to get a 22mm open end wrench, along with a torch placed on the fan shaft got it loose pretty quick.

Thanks to everyone that offered solutions. I appreciate it.

Kevin Banes

sbsumerix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
yeah do it in the parking lot with limited tools that was a fun day.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals