• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 slow starting issue

dispatchrobb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have a BII with 2.9L and the 4.0L flywheel, clutch, and starter. It has to crank a couple times and it starts up, but when it's warm it doesn't start. I can crank and crank and crank and nothing. The battery is new, the starter is new. I had it at auto zone and they said the alt, batt and starter were good, and I've cleaned all the terminals. I can hook up jumper cables to it when it won't start and it cranks much faster and starts immediately. I had a battery charger on it and then it cranked up fast and started right up, but it seems like it goes down to a lower level and stays there.

My questions are, it's the 2.9 batt with 650 cca, so does the 4.0L starter need a bigger battery? Sometimes my Alt gauge reads a tad low, so is there a possibility that the battery is just not getting a full charge but the alt still tests in the normal range, or maybe the voltage regulator is bad?

Just looking for a place to start rather than just throwing a new alt on it and not fixing the problem.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
My '89 did the same thing....ended up changing all the battery cables (and the extended cable that goes from the frame to the engine)......that solved my starting problems....(also upgraded to a 850 C.C.A. battery)

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The amp guage should never read discharge even a little do you have a ground wire from the alternator chassis to battery negative?

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Many people overlook the ground wire, As doorgunner said...

Here's a hint, ever see a car coming at you with one really dim headlamp ?? THAT my son, is a bad ground.

Look at ALL, I repeat, ALL the grounds, engine to frame, engine to battery, battery to frame.

even 1 ohm of resistance in ANY of these, will turn a starter into a gutless wonder.

Greg

dispatchrobb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info!

I forgot to mention that after it starts, the gauge lights pulse dim to bright to dim to bright about three times and the amp gauge needle follows the same pattern then it's all normal. lights don't appear to dim when I turn other things on or needle doesn't move with the blinker or anything like that. I'll check all my grounds again and see if that's it. The alternator seems to have all the wires attached, is the chassis ground from the alt to battery neg something I should add or should one of the wires already be attached? It's an "upgraded higher amp" alt the previous owner installed so maybe he missed something.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals