• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 intake manifold and carb options?

John Smith

Reaction score
just stopped by for a couple minutes..

Yeah, I will be picking up a new cylinder head as well…

The one I have now is a ranger oval port, and looks like it hasn’t ever been off, the valves look pretty nasty. I am looking for a D port head and installing a roller cam that will match up with my OMC intake manifold. (Or still looking for a late 70’s oval port intake manifold possibly…)

I’ll post pics of everything I do when I get to it, but I may just be cleaning and prepping for a couple more weeks till I can afford to buy the rest of the parts I need, but I’ll still take before and after shots of the cleaning.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will have to try and get a hold of my friend with a blaster, or maybe just take it down the street to this local paint shop. I think they may do it for cheap.

I really did think about what you said with the OMC’s and Offy’s being made for higher RPM. Being that I’m building my truck for off-road use, I know that the smaller head ports, and round smaller intake manifold would give better low end and throttle response, as you stated. However, I’ve had a lot of trouble trying to find oval port style manifolds, they seem to be quite picked over and hard to find (at least around here and on the internet…) If I could find a desirable oval style manifold that I could adapt a 2100 to, I would really consider going that direction, as I know it would be beneficial on the trails.

I still haven’t bought a new head that I’m planning on, and I got the OMC for cheap and I know I could sell it if I needed to. (I’m keeping you in mind, itlives!)

If I don’t find an oval style manifold or head, I think the OMC manifold with a fresh head, and whatnot would still be better than the stock setup.
Ideally I’d like to find a late 70's pinto aluminum oval intake manifold that I can put the 2100 on, and then the oval port head like John Smith was talking about with the large valves.

John Smith – Would you be willing to sell me one of your oval style intake manifolds, and possibly a head to match it?
are you looking for an oval port head?..or don't you have one?..

I DO have an extra 79 Pinto Oval Port head and manifold..

the large valve one I have is pretty special to me right now..although I'm not sure when I will get around to using it. You can pm me if you like. Are you close to me?..we could perhaps talk about what you may need...

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's been awhile since I was here last, but I have some info on intakes.

First you need to know which cylinder head you have (some have been mistaking a oval port head with a Ranger round port).
From top to bottom.
The oval port 1974-80
The Ranger round port 1983-87
The D-port 1981-90 (the D-ports were used in Mustangs untill 1990)

This is the OMC intake that I got off of ebay for my 88 Ranger (the carb bolt pattern is for a Rochester 2 bbl).

Made a adaptor plate out of 1/2" thick aluminum plate to bolt a Holley 2bbl (here is the OMC intake, and the Holley 350 carb in my truck).

If weight is your enemy there is the 1981, and later Mustang 2.3 2bbl D-port intake (shown with the Holley/Weber 2 bbl adaptor removed).

This is the number on the Mustang 2.3 D-port intake located on the #1 intake runner (after the firing order).

Here is a Ranger round port 2 bbl intake I got off a 87 2.0 Ranger (it uses some jap type feedback carb).

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Knowing the 1981-1990 years on the d-pot helps me in my search for a d-port intake THANKS!
Anybody got one or know where one is? I got money!

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
It's been awhile since I was here last, but I have some info on intakes.

First you need to know which cylinder head you have (some have been mistaking a oval port head with a Ranger round port).
From top to bottom.
The oval port 1974-80
The Ranger round port 1983-87
The D-port 1981-90 (the D-ports were used in Mustangs untill 1990)

This is the OMC intake that I got off of ebay for my 88 Ranger (the carb bolt pattern is for a Rochester 2 bbl).

Made a adaptor plate out of 1/2" thick aluminum plate to bolt a Holley 2bbl (here is the OMC intake, and the Holley 350 carb in my truck).

If weight is your enemy there is the 1981, and later Mustang 2.3 2bbl D-port intake (shown with the Holley/Weber 2 bbl adaptor removed).

This is the number on the Mustang 2.3 D-port intake located on the #1 intake runner (after the firing order).

Here is a Ranger round port 2 bbl intake I got off a 87 2.0 Ranger (it uses some jap type feedback carb).
Thank you for the information and great pictures man. It’s great to see them all side by side. :icon_thumby:

I know I have a Ranger round port head, but plan on trading it in for a oval port to have more intake manifold options...

Knowing the 1981-1990 years on the d-pot helps me in my search for a d-port intake THANKS!
Anybody got one or know where one is? I got money!
As stated above, I’m thinking I may want to go with an oval port manifold and head, so I have an OMC I’ll sell you if you are interested…

I’d love to see it help your sweet VW project…

PM me for details.

Last edited:

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Good info,ken

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
THANX 4 the Info!

:icon_thumby:

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For those who maybe contemplating on using the 2bbl carb adapter to the FI lower intake for your street ride "don't do it". For one it has no water running through it so it runs like crap when the engine is cold, and due to the length of the runners the low rpm throttle response isn't very good (even when the engine is hot). It's does make for a great racing intake as long as you keep the rpm's above 3500, that has been my personal experience.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Kenneth, you're not the only one to suggest that.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
I'm kornfused

For those who maybe contemplating on using the 2bbl carb adapter to the FI lower intake for your street ride "don't do it". For one it has no water running through it so it runs like crap when the engine is cold, and due to the length of the runners the low rpm throttle response isn't very good (even when the engine is hot). It's does make for a great racing intake as long as you keep the rpm's above 3500, that has been my personal experience.
I'm looking at an 87 FI lower and it has a coolant passage n between the #2 & #3 intake runner's.There is a fitting that rout's the coolant back into heater hose?:dunno:

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure but I think the water line off mine went to the oil filter. There's an attachment on the block that the oil filter screwed to that has two water lines (in and out).
I imagine it went to the block after that. In the picture, it is in front of the 3-4 cylinder next to the oil blow hole thingy.

Last edited:

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
chilsam: The problem with using the FI lower is that is has no plenum floor so it can heat the air/fuel so it will run better when the air temputures is low. The coolant passage on the FI intake is just that a passage.
Here's a pic of the underside if a carburated intake, you can see that water circulates right underneath the carburator.

itlives: The water line that went to the oil filter is actually an engine oil cooler. The water comes out the intake, circulates in the cooler than back out. That type of oil cooler is common on trucks with a towing package. They also come on the Thunderbird turbo coupe.

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Which itlives is planning on using it to do a bunch of towing, thats pretty cool.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
chilsam: The problem with using the FI lower is that is has no plenum floor so it can heat the air/fuel so it will run better when the air temputures is low. The coolant passage on the FI intake is just that a passage.
Here's a pic of the underside if a carburated intake, you can see that water circulates right underneath the carburator.
Is that the underside of the 2.0 O-port head (OEM)? I can't remember mine since I had no idea about adapters and all that at the time so I tossed it...was it cast iron or aluminum? Yours looks pretty shiny~!

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, it was part of the turbo package on this 1987 Mustang engine. I figure it can only help so it stays!
Parts are coming together for me (thanks Drew). My new pistons came today and the machine shop should be done in a day or two. Looks like I need the get cutting on my bed!
Again- here's a link to my build. It should be getting interesting soon.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=138764

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
I c what u mean

itlives: The water line that went to the oil filter is actually an engine oil cooler. The water comes out the intake, circulates in the cooler than back out. That type of oil cooler is common on trucks with a towing package. They also come on the Thunderbird turbo coupe.
how does the F.I motor compensate for this when it's fuel is direct injected and the air is not subject to the heat as it's inducted into the engine?:icon_confused:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals