• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

yet another person wasting time on a D30

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Plus your truck is already set-up for coils making it 10x easier to do. Plkus the coil mounts on the D30 line up with the ones on the ranger.

Now if the D30 was leaf sprung already then the would be the easier way IMO.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
yea i just need to find an axle first. but theres always something i didnt understand. on those jeeps, didnt they use a vaccum axle disconnect? do they all have that? if I have to hook up more vaccums for the front axle i will scrap it and go fullwidths
thanks

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As I said before those kind are CAD (Central Axle Dissconnect) axles. Not all D30 are like this. Heres more info. from the tech. library on the D30.

http://therangerstation.com/tech_library/Dana30.htm

Mine is a non CAD one and all CAD ones can be converted over to non CAD. You can keep it like that and use a cable to engage/di-engage the CAD part of the axle but thats just a weak point.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
thanks. what years should i look for in a d30 non cad?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As it says.................

The Dana 30 that was put in the Cherokee (XJ) and Wrangler (YJ) is a high pinion, reverse cut unit and are the stoutest Dana 30's built.

All the Wrangler (YJ) and many Cherokees (XJ) (Part time four-wheel drive) used a vacuum operated CAD (axle disconnect) which split the passenger side inner axle shaft into two pieces with a coupling in between. The full-time Cherokees (XJ) used a one piece axle. The non-disconnect front ends are easy to spot. Either look inside and see if the Jeep in question has a transfer case with a full time 4WD position or just look under the vehicle and make sure the passenger side upper control bracket is welded to the tube. The disconnect type axles have the passenger side upper control arm bracket cast as part of the disconnect assembly. The CAD (axle disconnect) was dropped for the Cherokee (XJ) models after 1991.

The 1993-1998 Grand Cherokee shafts should be avoided because they use CV joints. But you can get new shafts with the U-Joints.

Grand Cherokee (ZJ), Grand Cherokee (WJ), and Wrangler (TJ) use a standard cut Dana 30.
Avoid these jeeps!!!

I showed you which ones to avoid and what to look for. The easiest way is to go to the junkyard and start looking.

Mine came with CV joints but Im not going to be doing harsh with them so Im keeping the CV axles.

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
why not just go to junk yard...get a d35 ttb for around $100
get some lift coils for a xj...maybe $200
extend ur brake lines! $40?
get a bigger washer to hold in coil $2
add some longer shocks $100?

for another $400-500 u can get a SUPER flex suspension and u wont have to do ANY mods...

there was a guy here that did just that...stock suspension threw in some 3 inch lift xj coils (which i happen to have in my garage now :D) extended his brake lines to 28 inches and added lift shocks and off he went...

just make sure u got a sway bar...

yodaman1151

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
why not just go to junk yard...get a d35 ttb for around $100
get some lift coils for a xj...maybe $200
extend ur brake lines! $40?
get a bigger washer to hold in coil $2
add some longer shocks $100?

for another $400-500 u can get a SUPER flex suspension and u wont have to do ANY mods...

there was a guy here that did just that...stock suspension threw in some 3 inch lift xj coils (which i happen to have in my garage now :D) extended his brake lines to 28 inches and added lift shocks and off he went...

just make sure u got a sway bar...
I'm spending less than $400. That's the whole point. I'm doing this less than it will cost to re- do every bushing and ball joint that is bad on my TTB. Plus then I can say I have a BA SAS ranger!!

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm spending less than $400. That's the whole point. I'm doing this less than it will cost to re- do every bushing and ball joint that is bad on my TTB. Plus then I can say I have a BA SAS ranger!!
My exact reason too. Plus I dont want the TTB stuff anymore. My D30 came with new bearings, and seals anyways, so theres another money saver.:headbang:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Another thing that confuses me is why mine has the CV joints but it is a HP D30. CV's came in the Grand Cherokees but they arent HP (I think some mix and match was done). But if I do break one, Im going with the U-Joint style.

yodaman1151

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
You said it had a locker? Cv's don't yank your hand as bad when you turn sharp. Might the reason or someone broke am axle and found those cheap

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i have a d35 and 8.8 free in trade for a tcase but i havent picked it up yet and ill put it in for now but i do want a straight axle would be my reason for doing the d30

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My Jeep D35 I had had a detroit locker in it and I trade that. My D30 never had a locker but one day I will put an Ausie-locker in it.

The guy that gave the axle to me wasnt stupid, he knows his stuff when it comes to wheeling. Im told that CV's keep there strenght when the wheel is turned as compaired to U-Joints but I dont care, it will mainly be a DD.

I want people to notice a customization to my truck. Putting a D35 inder my truck wont draw as much attention but I dont need something that strong for DD, but I dont want to drive on my junk D28.

IMO, Solid axle equals solid fun.

yodaman1151

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
My Jeep D35 I had had a detroit locker in it and I trade that. My D30 never had a locker but one day I will put an Ausie-locker in it.

The guy that gave the axle to me wasnt stupid, he knows his stuff when it comes to wheeling. Im told that CV's keep there strenght when the wheel is turned as compaired to U-Joints but I dont care, it will mainly be a DD.

I want people to notice a customization to my truck. Putting a D35 inder my truck wont draw as much attention but I dont need something that strong for DD, but I dont want to drive on my junk D28.

IMO, Solid axle equals solid fun.
Fair enough... Jeep might have pulled a ford and used whatever they had around to save money and built a HP with cv's... Possible I looked at a d30 in a bII today and I think I'm gonna do coils ha ha I just wasn't sure how they needed set up but I got it pegged and I think I can even use my coils I got now. But I'm still exploring

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are no Rangers or B2 in my area with SAS. My dad said he saw one going down the street as he was coming home from work one day.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not all Grand Cherokee D30s have CVs. Almost all the V* ones do, but the 4 liter D30s will have either. I know mine has Ujoints...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals