• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Y-Pipe Ideas?? 70's style exhaust manifolds

CraKel

February 2010 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys,

Looking for an easy way to mach up a y-pipe to fit my 302 exhaust manifolds to the slightly oem/custom dual stup I have on my ranger. I could go to the shop with it and get a custom one made, but just trying to save myself a trip to the shop with a very loud truck with only headers and would like to do it myself it at all possible.

As of right now I have the magna flow dual cat system hooked up with a flowmaster 40 series and then custom duals out the back. I believe the gasket between the cat system and y-pipe is the exact place where the old 3.0L oem exhaust went. However, I know the 3.0L manifolds had a bit of a down turn and the 302 (early 70's cast style) are straight horizontal, so the original y-pipe wont fit perfect.

Has anyone ever used a ranger v6 y-pipe and just flanged it to fit the outlets of these old exhaust manifolds? Or is there a different system I can use that will match up to the oem passenger side exhaust pipe run. I dont care if I have to do a bit of fabrication or bump pipe for it to fit, even taking out one of the two cats is fine if I need more room. Just looking for some thoughts.

I believe I have some pictures of the exhaust in my signature.. Ill try and post them tonight.

Thanks.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You might try a 90's F250 with a 351W set of pipes.............yea, I said PIPES. These trucks had a cat further back than the F150's dual cats, so they had bare pipe all the way back to a point alongside the transmission. I grabbed one with the roller 351 I picked up two weeks ago (out of a 97 F250) Shouldn't be too hard to fit a set to a 302. This isn't a Y pipe, but true duals with an O2 sensor back where the cats on an F150 would be.

CraKel

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm ok thanks b.d. Ill look into it this weekend when at the wreckers. Worst case ill get it towed to a shop with a bender but id rather do it myself if its possible.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I did my own.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
I did my own also when I swapped in the V8 with shorty headers....made a diagram/measurements of what i needed...went to the parts store(S) to get the pipe & lots of clamps....did it just the way i wanted..... already had one new cat already installed with new exhaust pipe--NO MUFFLER--on the passenger;s side(when the 2.9 was in the truck)....I adapted it to the header . I ran the driver's side exhaust from the header with another identical cat (NO MUFFLER)....then, over the driveshaft & alongside the passenger's exhaust....both exhaust exited under the rear bumper....

saved $150 doing it myself...but I had a Mig welder & the time to do it...I posted pics in my thread

CraKel

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
thats what i wanted to hear.. basically welding isnt an issue but getting all the right bends to line up with bought pipe is the hard part I assume. Might try thid instead of going to the shop which is an easy 2-300$ CAD. Thanks guys.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
You can buy mandrel bent pipes. You can get a complete 180 degree mandrel bent pipe. From that you can make most any bend you need.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals