• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Xj coils on ttb

Red beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have done a little searching but not sure i found the right info. My ranger is a 95 4x4 ttb with 4.0 and extended cab. I live on a dirt road and the washboards really beat the hell out of my truck. Currently i have stock springs with a spacer under them and my coils on the top are very close together like the are smooshed down. I dont really want to lift it all that high. For instance if a 2 inch spacer is leveling out the truck i would like maybe 1 more inch. So 3 total. Will an xj 4.5 or 5.5 spring give me what i need? I am able to come by them cheap and i am already prepared to do radius arm extensions, shocks and steering upgrades if it makes sense to go this route.

My other option was the skyjacker 2 inch soft ride springs. I havent found a 3 inch spring offered for a ttb setup unless someone knows of one. I dont do any offroading in this truck so im not after an offroad feel just a softer more comfortable ride. My tierod ends and balljoints take all of the abuse so i want to try to eliminate some of that. I already have looked into camber caster bushing and possibly having to turn the beams. I run 31 inch tires and im just looking for a mild prerunner look for my truck. Nothing really fancy. My truck is very clean so i dont plan on making it a dirt toy just a nice daily driver. Any help would be great.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
make sure to pay close attention to what PPI the XJ coils are....
some XJ coils are really soft (140ppi) and the leverage effect of the TTB will smash those down easily.

with the 4.0 and ext cab... I'd probably recommend Early Bronco Coils over XJ coils unless you find some around 200 PPI

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If driven on the street often with an extended cab/4.0, I wouldn't even recommend a flexy EB coil. I'm running BC Bronco 3.5" coils and for daily driving, they are FAR too soft.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know the weight of the supercab... I know my Superlift 3.5" EB coils work fine with my 4.0 and 1/4" steel bumper and steel cable winch.

Red beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok so if i find coils with higher spring rates from an xj then what size will i need to give me 3 inches of lift? 4.5, 5.5, 6?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sbsrlewis used original f150 springs, got the ppi and all the specs from the moog catalog, he gained about 2 inches lift, also this was on a b2. this is what i plan to do

whatever you do make sure your sway bar is hooked up for the first drive.

Last edited:

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
f150 coils are stiff as hell and ride like shit..

if you want a softer ride get a good set of shocks to start.

then swap in some coils that are a little softer than stock ranger.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
f150 coils are stiff as hell and ride like shit..

if you want a softer ride get a good set of shocks to start.

then swap in some coils that are a little softer than stock ranger.
^ What he said. Trust me on that. Shocks won't soften up the ride though. They will get rid of SOME of the rough ride, but that's just bc it's soaking up the impacts.

You have to remember that you will need coil adapters to fit the Early Bronco coils in your ranger. I would go with JBG EB Coils which are 415 PPI ( slightly softer than TTB lift coils) if you want decent flex and keep streetability. Use the 3.5" Lift coils with adapters will net you 4.5" of lift.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I live on a dirt road and the washboards really beat the hell out of my truck. ... I dont really want to lift it all that high.

I dont do any offroading in this truck so im not after an offroad feel just a softer more comfortable ride. ... I run 31 inch tires and im just looking for a mild prerunner look for my truck. Nothing really fancy. My truck is very clean so i dont plan on making it a dirt toy just a nice daily driver. Any help would be great.
I wouldn't suggest anything other than Skyjacker's #132X coils for this. They are slightly softer than stock Supercab coils and should provide 2" lift (you might be able to use washers/spacers for up to another half-inch, but beyond that you're pushing your luck being able to realign your caster & camber properly if you don't also have axle drop brackets.

Shocks however have HUGE impacts on ride quality (much more than coils will).
A set of Bilstein 5100-series shocks may be all you need (in addition to the #132X coils if you're looking to get rid of your spacers). After that you might look at your tires... A P-rated tire (P265/75R15) generally rides smoother than a LT-rated tire (LT31x10.50R15) for instance, though there is some overlap between brands... Or maybe try lowering your tire pressure (shouldn't be running more than 35 PSI, 30 will be smoother still, though less than that can affect your MPG and tire life).

Red beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I appreciate the help and info. I think at this point im going to go with the skyjacker 132x coils and run a nice bilstein shock or two. I just didnt want to spend 500 on a skyjacker 2 inch lift if i could do it cheaper. Im going to order the coils and build all my other stuff and play with different spring isolators. I drive 100 miles each way to work. road noise and clanks and clunks drive me fawking nuts. the quieter the better for me.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tried disconnecting the sway bar? You might like that more

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
With TTB coils, sway bars ain't needed IMO.

With my EB coils, I'm using them lol

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I disconnected my front sway bar. IMO it drives like it should. Doesn't roll aroundcorners any more. I like it way more.

Red beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Where are the links to the sway bar? Never noticed that ttb had a sway bar. Where do i disconnect them at?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals