• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

WTH? What's wrong with this Tundra Frame?

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Krugford :wub:

Can't say it any better

Thumper113

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's cause the Chevy has the "GovLoc" in it. back in the late 80's early 90's, Chevy did a commercial with an open diffed F150 4x4 in a ditch like that. It spun one rear tire & one front tire & coudn't go any further. Then they took a Govlocked 2wd 1500 Chevy & went through the ditch. Funny thing was, Chevy didn't use an open diffed 1500 4x4 because it would've done the same thing the F150 did.

Of course, the GovLoc is also known as the "Grenade Loc"

Almost looks like your Torsen, doesn't it Chuck?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anyone want to put their money on a Ranger VS Ridgeline competition?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
The difference is Toyota WILL acknowledge a potential problem and issue this

I can tell you that even though the owner broke it, Toyota realized that it could have been made different to prevent the issue, so they make it right and fix it FREE. They even pay for a rental truck for you to drive in the meantime.

Now how long did it take Ford to fix those police cars?
How about Dodge and those wonderful transmissions in the Rams?
Maybe we can call someone at GM and ask when they are going to fix their ABS sensor issues and seal their headlamps up?

I am not a Toyota lover, for my money the F-150 wins every time. However, if you have the cash and use the truck for it's purpose the Tundra is a great truck. They hold their value better than anything (chevy claims the 2008 silverado does, but it hasn't been proven by any stretch) and they tow well. They cost more? YES! Until you trade it in or sell it.
Wait a second.. Where does it say they will fix it for free? I see it saying over and over and over they will investigate it. I can investigate why the water in a toilet in china swirls counter clockwise, but that doesn't mean I am going to do anything about it.

I have, accidently, raised the front end of a Kubota Utility tractor by pressing down on the tailgate with the bucket on the tractor. Mine stayed square. No buckling for me. I would be pissed if I spent a crapload of money on a "tuff" truck and it breaks under light useage. The cables should snap before the gate gives.

As far as the ridgeline, I have never driven on, so I cannot comment on how well they are built. However, I have seen them up close and personal and they are the ugliest pieces of sheetmetal I have ever seen. If someone tried to give me one for free, I wouldn't accept it. I don't care how well it can climb a grade with street tires.

jgrnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If toyota could only have kept building trucks like these...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EhoOkMccPZo

Dang hilux's are near indestructible.

I watched that episode of "Top Gear". AMAZING!!!

Too bad all big auto makers didn't look into this.

Anyone want to put their money on a Ranger VS Ridgeline competition?

If you didn't live clear across the country, I would seriously be thinking about it.

As far as the ridgeline, I have never driven on, so I cannot comment on how well they are built. However, I have seen them up close and personal and they are the ugliest pieces of sheetmetal I have ever seen. If someone tried to give me one for free, I wouldn't accept it. I don't care how well it can climb a grade with street tires.

Honda actually used sheetmetal? No way. The pilot my Dad's g/f drives is all plastic.

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My wife's 3.5L Pilot will thrash your 5.4L F250 in a timed trial on a 1 mile 6% grade with a 5,000# trailer. Leaving Nashville Indiana on IN46 west is the road I have in mind. I have the trailer. Google it.

And your F250 is only rated to tow 7,500#. The Tundra is rated to tow 10,800#.

I don't mean to detract from the advantages of a heavy duty pickup, I drive one daily. In fact, I have an extremely interesting video to post when I get my camera sorted out. I witnessed a semi-floated axle breakage and had the camera handy.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
For people who like to compare apples to apples, here's a summary.

The 2008 4x2 5.7L Long bed Tundra with 4.30s is rated to a max of 10,800 lbs when it's not equipped with the max payload package. Then it gets 4.10s and a max of 8,800 lbs

The 2008 4x2 5.4L Long bed F-150 with 4.10s is rated to a max of 11,000 lbs

The 2002 4x4 5.4L F-250 SRW with 4.10s is rated to 9,000 lbs

The 2008 4x4 5.4L F-250 SRW with 4.10s is rated to 12,100 lbs

I'm not interested in hearing about a "timed" trial for your Pilot. I would like to see you tow 4,500 lbs for 100,000 miles and see how well it holds up. I'm not here to bash the Pilot, I don't really care about SUV's in general. But seriously, first you were comparing your Pilot to a (your) B2 from the early nineties/late eighties and now a F-250 that's almost 6 years old. Hell, let's compare my 2003 FX4 to my 92 Ranger 4x4. I bet my new one would whoop it in everything it does, but that doesn't make it worthwhile comparison.

Will, the 2008 Honda Pilot with the 3.5L is only rated to tow 4,500 lbs, not 5,000 lbs. I would strongly suggest for your safety, as well as for the safety of others on the road, that you double check your maximum towing capacity for your vehicle. Towing in excess of manufacturers rated limits poses a danger to you and others on the road.

2manyfords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's getting a bit tiresome listening to Will brag about his wifes pilot.
Kind of reminds me of someone else that use to frequent the 2.9L forum all the time.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Wait a second.. Where does it say they will fix it for free? I see it saying over and over and over they will investigate it. I can investigate why the water in a toilet in china swirls counter clockwise, but that doesn't mean I am going to do anything about it.

I have, accidently, raised the front end of a Kubota Utility tractor by pressing down on the tailgate with the bucket on the tractor. Mine stayed square. No buckling for me. I would be pissed if I spent a crapload of money on a "tuff" truck and it breaks under light useage. The cables should snap before the gate gives.

Take one to a dealer, it'll get fixed FREE. I work at one so that's how I know. All of these trucks are under warranty anyhow unless somehow over 36k already in which case Toyota has instructed us to repair the truck free of charge.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Kind of reminds me of someone else that use to frequent the 2.9L forum all the time.
Will is far better educated/informed than the person you refer to.

The statements he has made have been appropriately qualified -- it's clear he is not saying that the Pilot is best for everything. I don't like it's road clearance much. But that's not relevant for the things discussed.

Honestly, I find it very amusing listening to folks say that the best way to drive washboard is very fast. People who say that must never have driven on washboard. Bouncing the tires off the road like that causes loss of control, very much like blasting through ice. The right way is to keep the tires on the ground by using a very soft suspension, or by slowing down to let the wheels track if the suspension isn't soft. You can't steer the truck while the front wheels are in the air.

Stumpy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't even understand how you could possibly compare a Honda Pilot to an F-250... it'd be easier to compare apples and oranges. lol

Two different vehicles for two different purposes.

Last edited:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
My wife's 3.5L Pilot will thrash your 5.4L F250 in a timed trial on a 1 mile 6% grade with a 5,000# trailer. Leaving Nashville Indiana on IN46 west is the road I have in mind. I have the trailer. Google it.

And your F250 is only rated to tow 7,500#. The Tundra is rated to tow 10,800#.

I don't mean to detract from the advantages of a heavy duty pickup, I drive one daily. In fact, I have an extremely interesting video to post when I get my camera sorted out. I witnessed a semi-floated axle breakage and had the camera handy.
I never said my truck could out tow anything Did I? In fact, I never said my truck was better than anything other than the toyota with the POS tailgate. Just stated that I wouldn't want a ridgeline.. Will, do you own a ridgeline? You seen awfully defensive about them.

I deal day in and day out with pickup trucks with loads on them. I work for a RV dealer for shits sake. How many Fords and Chevy's do we send out with trailers.. I would say 75%. How many Dodges, my guess 15%. Guess what... I have never seen a ridgeline towing anything off our lot. Let alone a fifth wheel. I have seen one Tundra owner who has bought a camping trailer from us in the 5 years I have worked there.

Not saying they are not good trucks, I don't know, don't own one. However, I do know that my "underpowered F-250 that will only tow 7100#" will tow a hell of a lot more than that. I have proof, as did you.

Montana Model 3400RL Specifications
Weight 11800
Carrying Capacity 3940
Hitch 2000
Length 38' 4

http://keystone-montana.com/?page=detail&year=2007&model=3400RL

So, bring the pilot.. I will be at the State Fairgrounds this weekend setting up for the RV show. We will see what it does with 11K on it's ass.

jgrnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I agree!

Will is far better educated/informed than the person you refer to.

The statements he has made have been appropriately qualified -- it's clear he is not saying that the Pilot is best for everything. I don't like it's road clearance much. But that's not relevant for the things discussed.

Honestly, I find it very amusing listening to folks say that the best way to drive washboard is very fast. People who say that must never have driven on washboard. Bouncing the tires off the road like that causes loss of control, very much like blasting through ice. The right way is to keep the tires on the ground by using a very soft suspension, or by slowing down to let the wheels track if the suspension isn't soft. You can't steer the truck while the front wheels are in the air.
Actually it's clear he's saying the Pilot IS better at everything. Has more towing capacity than a F-250?? Wait, let me correct that. Can tow more than the F-250 and get from A to B faster. Get real. I don't care what you will find on the internet to prove me wrong. Try the challenge yourself. Head on over to the West, and tackle TIOGA PASS and SONORA PASS, with your stupid little trailer. Sonora's grade is as steep as 28% and Tioga's at 19%, at nearly 10,000 any vehicle will have problems towing, ESPECIALLY YOUR DINKY LITTLE HONDA.

Will was praising Honda's ability on FAST offroad courses, which include washboards.

Not saying they are not good trucks, I don't know, don't own one. However, I do know that my "underpowered F-250 that will only tow 7100#" will tow a hell of a lot more than that. I have proof, as did you.

Montana Model 3400RL Specifications
Weight 11800
Carrying Capacity 3940
Hitch 2000
Length 38' 4

http://keystone-montana.com/?page=detail&year=2007&model=3400RL

So, bring the pilot.. I will be at the State Fairgrounds this weekend setting up for the RV show. We will see what it does with 11K on it's ass.

I'd absolutely LOVE to see ANY HONDA pulling THAT!!!!!!!!!!:idiot::idiot::idiot:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals