• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wtf!??

ToyTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry...I missed the fact that you had already swapped the starter and solenoid.

Shadetree is right. No wire attached to the started relay should go directly to ground. You should have a big, fat, red wire coming from the battery to the solenoid. Attached to that same side of the solenoid should be another, slightly thinner, wire that leads off to you relay box and fuses. There should be a little tiny wire attached to a little spade connector on top. That's your ignition switch. Then there should be a big fat, usually red, wire that runs down to the starter. That's it.

Based on your description of it, saying its 40% bare, I'd replace that cable. And just because I'm kinda anal that way, I'd also run a solid ground from engine block to battery. But that's just me.

302_Stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks alot for the info guys..i tried the whole jumper cable thing today and still couldnt get it to do anything.I need to make a video of the noise its making so you guys will know for sure what im talking about just to make sure and show you where its coming from and all.

I do believe i will get some new wire and try to mess with the ground a tad..haha electrical stuff is NOT my cup of tea.

302_Stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well , i crawled under the truck today , unbolted the ground from the frame , removed the top starter bolt and stuck the ground on there , following it with the bolt then tightened it up..AND IT WORKED! yes! finally..it turned over.

Thanks for all the help!

84Ranger4X4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 and 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 and 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Glad it worked. How is she running?

302_Stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Glad it worked. How is she running?
She isnt..lol..I turned it over a few times and nothing..but i guess after sitting up for a while you cant expect much.There was a very weak fuel scent , like the gas is heavily watered down.Today im gonna put some new fuel in it and see if i cant get it to run.

Also i was wondering , did the 86 have the mechanical fuel pump??

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
did the 86 have the mechanical fuel pump??
If it's an EFI motor, and nearly all '86 2.3's were, then no, the '86 would have had an electric pump, or two depending on the system.

302_Stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If it's an EFI motor, and nearly all '86 2.3's were, then no, the '86 would have had an electric pump, or two depending on the system.
Well see , the motor is from an 89 stang. Its carb'd , so thats why i was wondering..i know my 88 has two electric fuel pumps , one in the tank and one on the frame.

302_Stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK wait...i dont know what is wrong with me..

It is mechanical , it was right under my eyes , i dont know why i didnt happen to look..

myold96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
maybe a bad starter or a solinoid wire to the starter or the positive wire is shorted

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I hope he got it resolved in the last 7 years.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I'm pretty sure he was still waiting for an answer on this...but he is very patient...or still asleep...

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I believe you need a chassis ground and an engine ground. I have a good engine ground on my 85 but my chassis ground came off and everything went to shit. I got to thinkin about it and there isn't really any metal to metal contact on any part of the drive train to the chassis. Its all got rubber bushings and what not.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals