• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

would a leak in the slave cylinder cause this?

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
94 Ranger 205k miles
Replaced transmission, clutch, and slave 11 months/8k miles ago.

Over the last 6 weeks I notice that when I get in the cold truck, the first release of the clutch pedal after starting the vehicle is very very light. I push the clutch pedal in again and it seems fine and firm. I kind of begin to think I'm loosing my marbles?

Well last weekend the clutch pedal went to the floor, and stayed there, and the short story is all the fluid was gone from the reservoir, which means the master pulled in air. I bled the master (PITA) and filled the reservoir and it seems to work fine again. Good clutch action and pedal feel, drove the truck around the last few days just fine with zero issues.

Fast forward 2 days and I start my truck this very cold morning and on first attempt the clutch didnt disengage again. Release the pedal, pump again, and its fine. Checked the reservoir and its still to the top (for now?)

wtf?

All I can think is that maybe a small leak in the slave is allowing in just a bit of air to the line after the truck has been sitting awhile. A fresh pump of the clutch pedal pushes fluid back through the leak and purges the line of that air bubble so it works fine. Sounds possible, right?

And dont get me started about an 11month old slave leaking already.... I'm PISSED!

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
There is definitely a leak.

Any fluid on the ground under the truck? Fluid in the bellhousing? Any fluid on the firewall? (maybe the master is leaking)

I had a brand new slave go out in 2 months one time...shitty auto zone cheap replacement.

89PBR96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just replaced My slave buy OEM one. There is a few threads about this. I did some research Cause I just put a clutch in mine 5 months before hand what a pita to do again.
Check all your areas where it hooks up to slave and under reservoir

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well I'm taking a closer look at the hydraulic line that connects the master to the slave. Someone at some point did a hack job and re-connected the hydraulic line to the fitting on the slave by cutting and clamping it. I can't tell yet if thats where its leaking or if it is actually the slave that is leaking, I never see fluid on the ground. But its difficult to get a good look with it being so friggin cold out and the underbody always being wet from the snowy/salted roads and driveway.

I'm leaning towards replacing the master and hydraulic line just for giggles, since it would definitely be much easier/cheaper than swapping the slave, provides a little piece of mind on a truck with over 200k miles, and there's a chance it will solve the leak problem for around $50 in parts....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals