• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Would a dead speed sensor cause other problems?

HankG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My truck is a 1996 2WD extra cab ranger with the 4.0L engine and 5 speed manual.

My speed sensor has been going out for a while on my truck, the speedometer intermittently starts flopping around between zero and my actual speed. Today it was even worse than usual and the check engine light came on. I read the code and it was P0500, the speed sensor, which wasn't a huge surprise. However, the truck is having some other problems and I'm wondering if they're related or something else. I don't mind not having a speedometer, but I'm starting to get more worried about these other problems.

It is kind of hard to describe since it only happens once in a while. The truck kind of starts to buck like it's running out of fuel but if I give it some gas it'll stop. It mostly happens in low fuel situations like if I'm going slowly in traffic or letting off the gas quickly. It seems to happen most often if I'm coasting in second. I tried to recreate it on my way home today but except for one quick little hitch that went away on its own, I couldn't get it to do it even giving it zero pedal in second. Also, sometimes it idles high, around 2k rpm. Again, this is intermittent and doesn't seem to happen at any particular time and goes back to normal after a little while.

I'm really not skilled enough at mechanics to do an accurate diagnosis, but it seems to me like every once in a while it isn't getting fuel. If that is indeed what is happening, it seems to only happen when I'm giving it very little gas. Could that mean there's something in the line? Maybe the fuel pump is going out? Or the fuel filter is clogged?

Thanks for any help. I got this truck pretty cheap and I just want to drive it 'til it dies, but I'd like to postpone that as long as it's cost effective to do so.

phantomlord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 98 Ranger. My speedometer gets flaky sometimes (haven't had time to do a full diagnosis, I think my problem is a short in the harness under the driver's seat). When it drops out, I feel my engine bog down and horsepower drop and when it comes back on, I can feel the engine go back to normal. Sometimes it'll short in rapid succession, at which point, it produces a very noticeable bucking.

Your high idle is probably due to the IAC getting dirty. It's an easy fix that requires removing two bolts and cleaning the sensor. I've had that problem as well.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
be very happy you don't have an automatic trans...

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Start with the basics like fuel filter and pressure.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Mine does the intermittant high idle, even after a through cleaning of the iac, maf, and a few other things

orangealpine

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
For the past twenty years, Detroit has been using vehicle speed as part of the computer's data base to make fueling and spark adjustments. You know the speed sensor is flakey, why spend money on things that might be bad when you know you have a critical part that is?

Bill

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals