• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Woods/trail pistol?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Around 10 yards isn't terrible range for the bear spray.. that's just an awful lot of trust lol. Waiting until the bear is within range while it's charging you must not be fun.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Bears are pretty near sighted afaik. Was out hunting with a buddy many decades ago and we saw a bear ambling towards us. It got up to about ten yards then probably noticed our smell. It took off in the opposite direction. This was on the Queen Charlotte Islands, not far from Alaska. There were no humans living anywhere close by as we accessed that part of the island by fishing boat.
We were ready to shoot it but no need. At the time I didn't know anything about bear protocol.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I nearly bumped into a couple of black bears while my brother and I were hunting in NE Pennsylvania. Neither the bear or myself were paying attention, and I got maybe 15/20' of one. My brother called out to me and when I swung around it was right there. I just stood there staring at it with my 30-06 and when it eventually noticed me it turned around and high tailed it the opposite direction.

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
Mythbusters had a knife against pistol at 20 yards...
Iirc,
Pistol didn't win
Actually it was 20 feet, not yards where the knife got there 1st. I still think I would be able to get at least 3 shots off at that distance but not saying it would stop a charging bear. Guns make noise that deters most animals unless it's on top of you in which case prayers and screams are your only weapons. I've heard bear spray works well on human threats also. I have only needed to brandish a gun once and that was on two tweakers in New Mexico at a very remote campsite with my family.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
.357 S&W M27 8.5" barrel w/ jacketed hollow points
Can still shoot .38's and wadcutters
If cross compatability of ammo is important, I'd have to agree that a .357 would probably be the best option. Personally I'd probably go for a barrel in the 4-6" range. IMO the 8+ plus barrel is just too long, but opinions are like...

If we're sticking with S&W.357 offerings, and I'm buying myself something with your money, I'd split the difference and go for a Performance Center 627 with a 5 inch barrel. If I'm spending my own money it would probably be a medium frame, either K-frame M66 or L-frame M686. Both have same shot capacity as the M27, a little less weight, and lower price. Not entirely true. If I were sticking with S&W, since I already own .44 mag, it would be an L-frame M69. We gave my dad one for christmas a few years ago and it's a nice piece.

If I were to move away from S&W (and I most definitely would), it would probably be a Taurus with a 4" barrel and no porting. If it weren't for the expansion chamber and porting I'd go Tracker without a question. Those features are the biggest complaint I have about my 6.5" Taurus Tracker in .44 Magnum. Especially with the expansion chamber I don't trust shooting shot cartridges out of it. I've considered trying to machine the wall out essentially making it a deeply recessed crown, but never got serious enough to carry through with it.

Coyotes won't bother people much. They might carry off a toddler wandering alone by itself but really they are the least of my worries. Usually the only time I've seen them is after they've seen me and are running away.
Depends on the situation. I've never seen it happen, but I know that I'd been dropping deer remains on the established gut pile at the hunting club and had them very excited in close proximity. I couldn't see them due to being dark and undergrowth, but there was a whole pack of them not 10 yards away, probably a good bit closer. Maybe they wouldn't come out and bother me while I was in the area, but it's not a chance I'm willing to take unarmed.

They aren't the only critters on the property that would be very interested in those remains.

I do carry speedloaders and i can actually reload my revolver with one in just slightly longer then it takea my buddy to jam a new clip in his 9.
Ok, but that's ignoring capacity difference. You've got 5 shots in your revolver vs 10+ in his 9. I'm guessing at numbers, but you get the idea. You've got to reload twice for every one of his. Your revolver reload already takes slightly longer to reload, then add second complete relaod process int he same number of rounds.

Lets call it delay stacking, I'm sure that there is a proper term, but I don't care to figure it out right now. These numbers are pulled completely out my back side, but lets say that each handgun takes 1 second to fire 1 round. The pistol takes 4 seconds to reload and the revolver takes 5, but we'll call it 5 and 5 to make things easy. I doubt it takes that long for either, but the effect would be the same over time.

For every 5 shots you take, he takes 10. By the time you have 5 shots down range and reload, he's got 10 down and starting to reload.

RevolverPistol

(I have no idea how to work tables in this software)

You'd likely never reach these round counts in the situations we're talking about, but it demonstrates that there's more to things than just reload speed even if we ignore the messy squishy (aka human) aspect. Run what you like, they both have their strengths andweaknesses, just pointing out the flaw in the argument about reload speeds.

That actually attracts the meth heads.
All the more reason to carry.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Currently i carry a snub .38, but now that bears have been spotted literally where we camp/ride i think i wanna get something more.

Obviously my 12ga is ideal but not exactly easy or legal to pack on the quad.

Im leaning .357 so i can use my stash of .38 for plinking, but ive also been thinking of a .44mag.

Whats your guys opinions? No i dont want a semiauto, just not my tastes.

Yes also have bearspray, shooting it would be a total last resort, and these are blackbears, im not super worried but i really dont wanna wake up to one chewing my leg off.

So basically....woods/trail gun....357 or 44mag?

Or should i just get a longer barrel .38 and call it good?
Keep your .38 snub (that's what I carry--a Charter Arms Undercover--chrome with wood service grips) and get an air horn. Nothing short of that 12 gauge will reliably kill a bear. The air horn will scare it off every time. Shooting it and not killing it means you are engaging it. Blasting it with the boat horn disengages it.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 12 gauge pump in my truck as well. But the air horn is enough for a bear. It's just a 200# racoon. It's looking for the easy score and runs from the horn.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Keep your .38 snub (that's what I carry--a Charter Arms Undercover--chrome with wood service grips) and get an air horn. Nothing short of that 12 gauge will reliably kill a bear. The air horn will scare it off every time. Shooting it and not killing it means you are engaging it. Blasting it with the boat horn disengages it.
I only honk when horny.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you see a 200# black bear, that’s not the one you need to worry about. You need to worry about its 6/800# mother……

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Theres something about the thought of a 600lb mommy that makes me wanna honk :drool:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
IF, big if, i went semi auto...what do yall think about a .40s&w?
I’ve never really been a .40 cal fan. I’ve shot a number of different ones over the years and found they like to really flick the muzzle which can be a little hard on the wrists. They were kinda built to try and be a “compromise” between the higher velocity of 9mm and the stopping power of a .45acp, and in my opinion are a poor compromise. I’ve found that a good .45acp is more easily controlled and a pretty effective round, especially when used with modern self-defense ammo like the Hornady Critical Defense. Heck, even the commonly found ammo for it isn’t something I’d want to be hit with, 230 grain bullet nearly 1/2” in diameter…

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Well guys....i went and picked up this....

20230406_154936.jpg

Its a S&W .357mag. Havent shot it yet...but im having a great time looking at it.

Model 65-3, 1982 build date from everything i can find.

Oh and @Will ....i will carry spray...the air horns not a bad idea either....like i said shooting it would be an absolute last ditch effort. Cause if its going to kill me...that sumbitch is going to atleast earn it.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Nice score. Looking forward to hearing how it shoots.

I just like the looks of a steel and wood gun.

Congratulations!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals