• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Woods/trail pistol?

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
ah so there's even a name for it
yeah that's something you only do once

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Nice pea shooter, but I found your bear gun right here:

Seriously though, congratz on the purchase. For what you wanted, I think it's all round a better piece than what you had. Capacity for a more powerful round while still being compatible with the 38 special you're used to. Reliable, not that your old one wasn't. Probably most important to me, it isn't a snub nose, so better stability, accuract, and aim IMO.

Wrong gun. Dirty Harry carried a .44 Magnum S&W model 29, or a .44 Auto Mag pistol which used .44 AMP. I also wouldn't taunt a bear like that regardless of what I was carrying. Especially if I were carrying that big mofo I linked above, I think I'd be more scared of shooting it than the bear attacking. <Haven't actually wanted that video yet myself BTW.>
I actually shot an 8 gauge one time. Fun to experence but...yeah not for me lol.

Im pretty accurate, atleast at the range with my .38. Obviously i cant hit a soup can at 100 yards with it, i was mostly concerned about power with it for a large animal (i guess theres also russian boar up there, i just found out)

As far as revolver vs semi auto...im not gonna touch that debate but personally, id rather have 6 reliable shots then 15 that may or may not rack.

I could handle a .41 or .44, but the issue is i dont wanna invest a bunch of money in something thats more tool then hobby...but who knows i might live to regret it lol.

As far as smaller calibers...the world record grizzly was taken in alaska with a .22LR with one shot. But if im trying to keep from ending up as bear shit i dont really wanna be throwing needles at it lol.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Black powder round, made long before smokeless and magnums. Still deadly at short range, especially before modern medicine.
I think guides still use the Howdah these days as backup guns on African safaris.
1681912742672.png

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals