• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wiring problems

kegs85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liter V6
Transmission
Manual
hey guys new to the sight, and to a ranger. i have a 1985 ranger long bed with the 2.8 but the wiring in its...a rats nest. does anyone have the wiring diagram for this truck. i need everything from the motor to the stereo. also i'm wantin to chop the frame and do a flat bed...anyone have a draw up of a design? i'd build it myself as my dad owns a full steel fab shop. Thanks

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The wiring diagrams are a book. It isn't simple, but when you take your time, you can figure it out - usually. Try e-bay - if not post again with a specific circuit and maybe we can help. I 'm traveling right now, so I'm not near the book.

Also if you have DuraSpark, most of that mess will go away.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Duraspark it and get rid of the rats nest all you need is three wires from the distributor alternator wires oil pressure and water temp and the choke. If you have the A4LD OD tranny put a switch on the dash for the lockout. Believe me you will never get the computer working correct look in the tech library under duraspark conversion (unless you have to pass emissions) and it will tell you how to do it and give you part numbers. Your engine probably needs valveguide seals also depending on how may miles on it but you need to get it advancing correct to bring it to life also a non feedback carb helps alot for performance. Any Qs just ask

kegs85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liter V6
Transmission
Manual
where can i find the duraspark...does that replace pretty much all wires...from the computer and all? or just for the starting side of things? what can i expect to pay for this??

kegs85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liter V6
Transmission
Manual
i actually by some miracle got it partly wired. it cranks now but i have no headlights or gauges...guess thats next on the list to wire. but i have a dome light tho so i guess there is some good.
how does the duraspark work and what all do i need to do with it. money's kinda tight so i'm just trying to widdle my way through it.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A hunch here - there can be many things that cause your problems, but:
Check your grounds. The battery has a heavy wire (cable)to the frame and engine; the back of the engine has a grounding strap to the body and there is a ground - about a No 10 wire - that goes from the Bat negative terminal to the radiator support.
Grounds are as important as any connection.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
It costs about $130 for the duraspark ignition system you will be able to get rid of 95% of the wires on the engine dump all the computer stuff. go thru and look at all the wires and connectors if you can take them apart and clean them the computer wires all go over and around the engine to the computer on the bulkhead under the passenger side panel. +1 on the grounds take them apart and sand them to good metal. There is a white rectangular 8 wire connector by the coil there are three wires to the alternator 1 to the water temp and 1 for the oil pressure they have a black 90 degree female connector that pushes on the sensors the water temp is on the thermostat housing and the oil pressure sensor is down under the power steering pump the wires should be close or if they are plugged in take the wire and short it to ground and see if the guage registers either hot or high. do you have a camera and show us some pics. If you go to the tech library and read the section on duraspark conversion from the sound of it if you run it the way it is when you get it started the fuel alone will pay for the conversion real fast depending on how much you drive it all you need is the distributor and module and we can show you how to make you existing carb work for it.

kegs85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liter V6
Transmission
Manual
thanks for all the help guys. got the guages working except water temp...i'll get it tomoro. coil for the distrib cap is bad so gettin new one tomoro then prime the carb and hopefully fire. i'll probably do the duraspark as soon as i can. for now i just need to get it running. I have a lot to do to this truck...suspension chopped frame..flat bed, lockers stereo system and rhino lined cab in and out should be interesting.
i would post pics..but i'm not to sure how to thanks again for the help!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals