• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) Wiring Diagrams for 2003 and 2007

Driver_WT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I am putting a 2007 2.3 (from a Ranger) in a hot rod. I have the engine wiring harness. I also have a 2003 Ranger 2.3 that I can remove parts from. So I am taking the instrument cluster and dash wiring harness from the 2003 Ranger. I am looking for a source for wiring diagrams for a 2007 2.3 and a 2003 2.3. I mostly just need the diagram for the dash wiring harness in the 2003 and the engine wiring harness for the 2007. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Wade

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You will have an issue with the 2007 engine computer, it NEEDS the cluster it came with from the factory or it won't work.
People were swapping in lower mile clusters to resell Fords, Rangers got a digital dash in 2004 and up, and the digital dash and engine computer are "married" so one will not work without the other, so no more swapping clusters, even digital versions
If one breaks Ford dealer can "remarry" a new cluster or engine computer, but 2003 can't be "married to" 2004 and up engine computer

You can used the 2003 computer and 2003 cluster, or you can used stand alone computer and 2003 cluster

In 2003 PATS is in the computer
In 2007 PATS is in the Cluster
Just FYI

Attachments

Driver_WT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply RonD. So I would need to get a 2003 ECU and a 2003 engine wiring harness which has the one large connector versus the three smaller ECU connectors on 2007 engine wiring harness. Then I have to have PATS turned off in the 2003 ECU or is it a separate PATS module in 2003?

And then, do I have to put a permanent ground on the starter relay so that PATS cannot prevent the starter from working?

Or, maybe it would be easier to get the ECU, gauge cluster, dash harness and key from a 2007 Ranger.

Thanks.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, using the 2007 engine computer and its cluster with it's PATS key would work

2003 engine computer would also want to see heater for thermostat and IMRC feedback
But if you were sending 2003 computer out to have PATS test deleted then those 2 items could also be deleted, and add a custom tune
Then you could use a custom cluster, which would be more common in a "hot rod" custom build, or a 1996 to 2003 Cluster
Having all the "warning" lights is a modern convenience, but vehicles worked just fine for many many years without them, lol

Yes, you would need to ground the Starter relay in engine fuse box if deleting PATS
On 2003 computer wiring harness/connector there will be a Dark Blue/Orange wire on pin44, it runs to starter relay, cut it and ground it, but..............if programmer does it right then when PATS is deleted that wire will be grounded inside the computer so no wire cutting will be needed

Driver_WT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
OK, thanks. Still pulling together the knowledge and the pieces to make this work. I appreciate the info RonD

Driver_WT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes, using the 2007 engine computer and its cluster with it's PATS key would work

2003 engine computer would also want to see heater for thermostat and IMRC feedback
But if you were sending 2003 computer out to have PATS test deleted then those 2 items could also be deleted, and add a custom tune
Then you could use a custom cluster, which would be more common in a "hot rod" custom build, or a 1996 to 2003 Cluster
Having all the "warning" lights is a modern convenience, but vehicles worked just fine for many many years without them, lol

Yes, you would need to ground the Starter relay in engine fuse box if deleting PATS
On 2003 computer wiring harness/connector there will be a Dark Blue/Orange wire on pin44, it runs to starter relay, cut it and ground it, but..............if programmer does it right then when PATS is deleted that wire will be grounded inside the computer so no wire cutting will be needed
Ok, RonD you have given me some useful info. New plan is to use the 2007 ECU, get PATS deleted, permanently ground the ground side fo the starter relay, use a GPS speedo, aftermarket gauges for Volts, Coolant Temp (add sensor in top rad hose), Oil Pressure (T into existing oil pressure port), add LED indicator lights for high beams and signal lights. I would like to retain the OBDII port - do you have a wiring diagram for that and its connections to the ECU? Also, will it be possible to tap into a signal for an aftermarket tach?

Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think you mean 2003 ECU(PCM), 2007 PCM still needs the cluster(HEC) connection, not sure if that can be deleted, ask a programmer

2003 PCM uses pin 48, tan/yellow wire for TACH out to cluster

2007 PCM uses CAN Bus network for TACH signal(read below)

Data Link is the name for OBD2 plug in, it has 16 slots
2 Grounds
1 12volt(full time power)
3 wires from PCM
This is the minimum for any year

But in 2004 Rangers got the CAN Bus data wiring, 2 wire Network to all modules
2004 thru 2011 use CAN Bus, Digital Dash(HEC) gets Speed and Tach via the CAN Bus wires

1996 thru 2003 used 1 wire from modules, but 3 from PCM, Speed and Tach are analog from speed sensor and PCM

Same plug in and protocol, OBD2, just different wiring

Attachments

Driver_WT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks RonD. I am hoping to use the 2007 ECU because I have it. The 2007 ECU has three connectors. My understanding is that the 2003 ECU will have only one large connector so I would have to obtain and change the complete engine wiring harness (I am hoping to avoid that). My next stop will be to the programmer to see if he thinks he can make my plan work. Sounds like it might be challenging to get a Tach signal from 2007 ECU. Thanks for the correct terminology for the OBDII connector.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its not just the connectors that are different, wiring is as well

You can highjack a Tach signal from a spark plug wire, like Timing lights do, inductive so just a clamp no cutting wires, lol
But Ford uses Waste Spark so there is 1 spark every 1 RPM, instead of every 2 RPMs, so you need a Tach that can be set to 1 spark per RPM, 1:1 ratio, like a 2-stroke engine tach would use

You will also need an analog temp sender, for dash temp gauge, that can be added to heater hose, using a hose bung, like this: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/attachments/atm-2280_w-jpg.386179/
Should be installed closer to engine end of hose, on the OUT to heater hose, and bung needs to be grounded, because its on rubber hoses, lol
Then a wire from temp sender to the dash gauge, the sender and gauge are a "set" so which ever gauge style you go with use that sender
Ford actually used these on the older 2.3ls :)

Last edited:

Driver_WT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Great. Thank you. The car will be a cruiser, so the Tach is not the most important gauge. Coolant temp, oil pressure, volts and gas gauge are important. LOL

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Stock Oil pressure sender is analog but is just an on off switch, but you can change the sender to a PS60 and use a real oil pressure gauge on the dash

Fuel sender is still analog, 16ohms EMPTY, 158ohms FULL, need a gauge that matches those OHMs, Ford type gauge

Volts is volts, lol, just need a key on wire to feed the Volt gauge

Driver_WT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the additional informtion RonD. Now I have to see if the ECU can be programmed to eliminate all of the pieces that will not be on the vehicle and if it will start.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals