• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

will it work

khoward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 83 ranger 4x4 with a 2.3 the head is off a mustang II i have to get a new motor i want to know if the mustang II 2.3 intake will fit a ranger 2.3 head or will it be better to buy the 2.3 mustang II motor need help asap

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Not for sure, but I would believe that if the stang head is bolted up to your ranger intake now, then the stang intake should bolt to the ranger head as well.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Easy way to check...just hold the intake gasket up to the mustang head...it's like a template...works for me...:)

khoward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not for sure, but I would believe that if the stang head is bolted up to your ranger intake now, then the stang intake should bolt to the ranger head as well.
no i have a 83 ranger block with 78 stang II head and intake

khoward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have found out that it will not work the best thing to do is to buy a 78 stang motor that way every thing bolts up and i can avoid buying a new intake and carb plus i still get to use my holley 5200 2bbl carb and the old duraspark ignition will still work witch is good seeing how it is all new also

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I used an intake and carb from a 78 mustang...and the head on mine is from a 89 stang...and the block was a 87 Ranger FI with no fuel pump slot...the 2.3 from a 78 would probably have to be rebuilt...unless it is low mileage, and even then you may be looking at worn seals and other parts that are likely to fail...

But if you can find an intake from that model year, then you're probably looking at an Offy type that are very good...the FI intakes from some years will also work with a carb adaptor...there are several threads on that in this forum...although they haven't surfaced for a few months...look under Kenny S posts and check out his setup...

khoward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used an intake and carb from a 78 mustang...and the head on mine is from a 89 stang...and the block was a 87 Ranger FI with no fuel pump slot...the 2.3 from a 78 would probably have to be rebuilt...unless it is low mileage, and even then you may be looking at worn seals and other parts that are likely to fail...

But if you can find an intake from that model year, then you're probably looking at an Offy type that are very good...the FI intakes from some years will also work with a carb adaptor...there are several threads on that in this forum...although they haven't surfaced for a few months...look under Kenny S posts and check out his setup...
The 89 stang head does it have 4 evenly spaced round ports on the intake side

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The 89 stang head does it have 4 evenly spaced round ports on the intake side
No...the round port intakes are from a 2.0 litre and maybe some of the older 2.3s...most of the later 2.3 intakes were D port heads...shaped like a letter D on it's side...

khoward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats what is on there is The D shaped ports that are laying down on there flat side what year did they start doing that and can a find a ranger 2.3 with that head stock

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The 78 mustang had d port heads...so the 78 mustang intake worked on my newer 89 mustang head...but the 89 had a roller cam, which is a better cam setup...

not sure about the 2.5 heads at all...never even seen one in the metal...

khoward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my 78 stang intake has ovel ports and was bolted to D ports if it worked on the D ports why wouldnt it work on the o ports

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
They will work...but there is a higher risk of fuel pooling...where it collects in the intake instead of being drawn into the combustion chamber...shaving the ports to match them may be possible, but I'd have to see the gasket sitting on the head to know if I'd even try that approach...

With a carb setup it is best to get the closest possible match for the ports...they are already under powered and compounding their performance is just more frustrating...

khoward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea i have decided to go with the whole 78 mustang motor and its easier to find performance parts so i can come up off the stock 88 HP

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals