• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why There's No Rangers

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
They built a bunch, they just have not shipped them to dealers, with very few exceptions. We have some that have been built and sitting at the factory for over 2 months now...
I saw another video that showed thousands of F-150's purportedly stashed in parking lots around Detroit due to alleged "defects" and not ready to be sold to the public. Wonder if it's the same problem with Rangers?
My son just bought a house and if he were to ask my advice on buying a truck, TBH I'd tell him to get a Ridgeline.

Last edited:

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They had 2024 F-150 on "quality hold" for a long time, but have started shipping them. Of course they don't tell us why they are on hold. We are very glad they started shipping the 24s because we are basically out of the 23 model F-150s.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
They had 2024 F-150 on "quality hold" for a long time, but have started shipping them. Of course they don't tell us why they are on hold. We are very glad they started shipping the 24s because we are basically out of the 23 model F-150s.
Honestly I'd be afraid to buy one if that's the case.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
I saw another video that showed thousands of F-150's purportedly stashed in parking lots around Detroit due to alleged "defects" and not ready to be sold to the public. Wonder if it's the same problem with Rangers?
My son just bought a house and if he were to ask my advice on buying a truck, TBH I'd tell him to get a Ridgeline.

Man a buddy in my little offroad group is battling Honda right now over his AWD system on his 22 Ridgeline. He says it sounds like the rear is gonna fall out when it kicks in and out. They keep claiming nothing is wrong. 16k on it. He's actually scared to take it out even on county dirt roads right now. But it is a nice truck. Seems kinda cheap on the inside. Lots of hard plastic everywhere

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
Man a buddy in my little offroad group is battling Honda right now over his AWD system on his 22 Ridgeline. He says it sounds like the rear is gonna fall out when it kicks in and out. They keep claiming nothing is wrong. 16k on it. He's actually scared to take it out even on county dirt roads right now. But it is a nice truck. Seems kinda cheap on the inside. Lots of hard plastic everywhere
Probably just how auto-4wd works. My old Sport Trac was like that, it was so annoying in snow that I'd just lock it in 4-Hi.
My cousin owns a repair shop and used car lot, his professional opinion is that since the pandemic everything is crap and especially don't buy a 2021 or 2022 anything made by anyone.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Honestly I'd be afraid to buy one if that's the case.
My best guess is its some software thing, likely related to Federal certification of some aspect of all the blasted regulations that now exist. Ford has been doing a good job of taking care of those issues rather than letting them ride like some other manufacturers do...

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've really been screaming at folks to DRIVE WHAT THEY HAVE, or at least if they are buying new, to buy the LEAST amount of car they need.

Between predatory financing and the rash of recalls, it's really hard to recommend new cars and trucks to folks that are a good value for money.

Most of the time I tend to recommend Mazda, because they've got near (or sometimes greater) reliability than Toyota, with better value since you don't have to pay the Toyota tax.

As for trucks, I don't even recommend people buy any of em, 99% of the time they're better off with some sort of crossover, and if they NEED a new truck I try to tell them to stick to base models with the drivetrain they need for their tasks. Otherwise they're paying house down payment prices for a glorified couch.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I bought a house about two years ago for less then a third of the ask on this...

Screenshot_20240317_075032_Chrome.jpg

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I bought a house about two years ago for less then a third of the ask on this...

View attachment 108448
Sounds about right, not sure if you're familiar with the Canadian housing market, but 98, 999 USD is about what the typical downpayment looks like for a house nowadays up here.

Whack.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well average price of a home here is not 400k... so they say. So with a 20% down stroke... 80k. Not much difference really.

It's all absurd...

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well average price of a home here is not 400k... so they say. So with a 20% down stroke... 80k. Not much difference really.

It's all absurd...
Maybe it does in fact make sense to spend 100k+ on a truck, since I'll never be able to afford a house anyways!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Maybe it does in fact make sense to spend 100k+ on a truck, since I'll never be able to afford a house anyways!
No it doesn't....

Buy the house... fixer upper. They can be had. At least the house will give you a return in the end.

That Raptor was awesome... not $100k awesome.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
No it doesn't....

Buy the house... fixer upper. They can be had. At least the house will give you a return in the end.

That Raptor was awesome... not $100k awesome.
Definitely won't be trying to live out of a Ford anytime soon, I already spent 4 months living out of a Freestar.

I did try to buy a house once through a family estate a cheap fixer-upper by all means, no realtor involved saving me the fees, and subsequently got screwed over by a terrible mortgage broker who let the whole thing linger for months until the interests rates were raised through the roof here in Canada. Ended up with almost 4K in legal fees, and no house.

It's funny, I've been paying 1000 to 1700$ rent for years, no missed payments, always on time, but as soon as I go for a mortgage they're not sure if I can afford 1000$ a month. Wild.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
As for trucks, I don't even recommend people buy any of em, 99% of the time they're better off with some sort of crossover, and if they NEED a new truck I try to tell them to stick to base models with the drivetrain they need for their tasks. Otherwise they're paying house down payment prices for a glorified couch.
That's why I got a Ranger STX. I didn't want the extra electronic junk that comes with an XLT. It's just more to break.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals