• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why There's No Rangers

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Also as a side note, I hate Scotty Kilmer’s videos with a passion. Yeah, he has good points sometimes, but it's dusted amongst so much nonsense ranting about opinions and stuff that I can't watch it.

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
While I agree that most of them haven't done that, those who do drive me insane. Being sworn at by a guy who retired 15 years ago over doing your job, (which you have been doing for two years), over "not knowing anything about the tire industry and that your training is bulls**t", all because I **WASNT** static (single plane) balancing his tire....

...is something else. I wanted to slap the man. And this happens so often our manager gives us special instructions on how to deal with these people.

Not saying the guy didn't know his stuff, he probably did, but he knew his stuff about tires from 15 years ago. I'd been doing that job for over two years at that point, in the modern era, well educated in what today's cars need out of tires. He probably is an expert at the wheels and tires on that old Chevelle in his neighbor's backyard, just not his new shiny 2023 ram pickup.

So I do understand @bhgl 's sentiment. Because I deal with it every week it seems.

EDIT- for those of you who don't know, static or single plane balancing is almost never used anymore except for VERY specific cases authorized by my manager. Wheels and tires today are so wide that dual-plane balancing is necessary. Single plane will eliminate "hop" type imbalances, but not "wobble" type imbalances, both of which will be felt at highway speeds in any modern vehicle.
Both of those posts have been edited since I posted what I posted and are not real good examples of anything

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Both of those posts have been edited since I posted what I posted and are not real good examples of anything
Okay… I’m not too sure what you mean, maybe I’m missing something.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Okay… I’m not too sure what you mean, maybe I’m missing something.
What me and Cam are getting at is that we deal with a lot of folks in the industry who've been in the game a long time, and aren't always up to date on the topics at hand, and happen to get very angry when you don't agree with them.

We can disagree about how things are done no issue there, it's the anger and mistreatment, particularly when you're working in customer service like Cam, that's really upsetting and frustrating.

If you're a mechanic or a doctor, as time moves on new ideas or technologies show up to replace the old ones, so any good mechanic or doctor is going to learn and retrain to use those ideas or technologies.

It's typically, but not always, the old-school folks in the industry that I get the anger from. Because they've got seniority and experience when you try to correct them, or tell them about how things are done nowadays for whatever reason they get very very very angry.

It's not just a problem in the car world, but I see it all the time in my other hobbies too, like guitars.

The reason it's relevant to Scotty Kilmer is because well, he's one of those guys with really strong held opinions and beliefs about cars, and not all of them are correct. He's clearly a knowledgeable and practical mechanic who knows a lot about repair and maintenance, but some of his views as they relate to cars are pretty outdated, or outright myths.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
What me and Cam are getting at is that we deal with a lot of folks in the industry who've been in the game a long time, and aren't always up to date on the topics at hand, and happen to get very angry when you don't agree with them.

We can disagree about how things are done no issue there, it's the anger and mistreatment, particularly when you're working in customer service like Cam, that's really upsetting and frustrating.

If you're a mechanic or a doctor, as time moves on new ideas or technologies show up to replace the old ones, so any good mechanic or doctor is going to learn and retrain to use those ideas or technologies.

It's typically, but not always, the old-school folks in the industry that I get the anger from. Because they've got seniority and experience when you try to correct them, or tell them about how things are done nowadays for whatever reason they get very very very angry.

It's not just a problem in the car world, but I see it all the time in my other hobbies too, like guitars.

The reason it's relevant to Scotty Kilmer is because well, he's one of those guys with really strong held opinions and beliefs about cars, and not all of them are correct. He's clearly a knowledgeable and practical mechanic who knows a lot about repair and maintenance, but some of his views as they relate to cars are pretty outdated, or outright myths.
You hit the nail on the head- I couldn't have said it better myself.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's OK, man; don't stress over it.

We can poke some brutal fun at one another, but it's all in good fun and we're all friends here.

Now, young man, go clean up your room, quietly, and let us adults have us a nice, peaceful nap. :)

Haha. I'm a boomer. Still have a 98 Ranger I've had 26 years, headed for 195,000 miles. Still have a 2004 LIGHTNING I've owned 15 years with 76,000 miles. Still have three bad-ass motorcycles, one of which I just got a set of custom rearset foot controls for. Yeah, moving my feet up and back for a more sporty riding position. 2008 Suzuki B-King, which is a Hayabusa in a different style. Also a 2021 Honda CBR600RR and a 2006 Suzuki M1800R Intruder.

Some boomer huh!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
He's clearly a knowledgeable and practical mechanic who knows a lot about repair and maintenance, but some of his views as they relate to cars are pretty outdated, or outright myths.
He touts being a mechanic... but whenever he does one of my dad's lines ALWAYS comes to mind. Kinda neither here nor there in this instance but dad has been a mechanic since he graduated high school in '75...

"If he is so good at it why isn't he still doing it?" :icon_twisted:

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
He touts being a mechanic... but whenever he does one of my dad's lines ALWAYS comes to mind. Kinda neither here nor there in this instance but dad has been a mechanic since he graduated high school in '75...

"If he is so good at it why isn't he still doing it?" :icon_twisted:
What's that saying? "Those who can't do, teach."

Saying that, I've got a lot of respect for actual teachers, but nowadays there is something to say for folks starting a youtube or tiktok channel and suddenly thinking they're subject matter experts.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
That is the pearl hiding in the 10,000 oysters.

If people would just be nicer to, and more respectful of, others then we'd all be in a much better place.

It's typically, but not always, the old-school folks in the industry that I get the anger from.
There's also a flip side to the coin. Some of us choose not to stay up with the daily changing technologies; at my age I think that I've earned the right to live a simpler life if I want to.

Not having a cell phone, or not doing social media, or not using apps to order and pay for stuff does result at times in some ridicule and even hostility when dealing with other people.

I just shrug it off and go on about my business.

Life is just too damn short. Whatever happened to "live and let live"?

Peace. Boomer out . . .

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What's that saying? "Those who can't do, teach."

Saying that, I've got a lot of respect for actual teachers, but nowadays there is something to say for folks starting a youtube or tiktok channel and suddenly thinking they're subject matter experts.
I watch more youtube than anything, there are some really great creators on there. It makes me sad all the people in years past that had potential but didn't have the equipment or outlet to express themselves like anyone can today with just a cellphone and an internet connection.

That said IMO Scotty ain't one of them. Basically a tabloid looking for clicks/views that has to keep beating his own drum to make himself look relevant.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That is the pearl hiding in the 10,000 oysters.

If people would just be nicer to, and more respectful of, others then we'd all be in a much better place.

There's also a flip side to the coin. Some of us choose not to stay up with the daily changing technologies; at my age I think that I've earned the right to live a simpler life if I want to.

Not having a cell phone, or not doing social media, or not using apps to order and pay for stuff does result at times in some ridicule and even hostility when dealing with other people.

I just shrug it off and go on about my business.

Life is just too damn short. Whatever happened to "live and let live"?

Peace. Boomer out . . .
That's really what it comes down to. A mutual respect.

At my job I help a lot of folks, usually seniors, navigate government programs, services, even legal matters on occasion. Sometimes it's a confusing paper form, other times it's an online application and they have no idea where to even begin.

It's a very rewarding part of my job. It's only ever frustrating when they express their anger AT ME, the individual trying to help them, for them not understanding, or outright refusing to do one, or any part of the process they have to deal with. I can understand being frustrated, or annoyed, but directing your anger to the first person in front of you doesn't ever go well.

When it comes to smart phones and social media, plenty of folks young and old are choosing to go without, and that's great. Like we said before, the issue is when people get angry and chastise people FOR engaging with new things, and on flipside, when they choose NOT to.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I watch more youtube than anything, there are some really great creators on there. It makes me sad all the people in years past that had potential but didn't have the equipment or outlet to express themselves like anyone can today with just a cellphone and an internet connection.

That said IMO Scotty ain't one of them. Basically a tabloid looking for clicks/views that has to keep beating his own drum to make himself look relevant.
I agree with you 100%, I grew up alongside Youtube, and it's where I still watch most of my content. There was a certain magic to old school youtube when there wasn't an obvious profit motive behind everything, kind of like this forum. Folks post and help each other not because they expect a fat cash reward, but because its fun, and the right thing to do.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I watched the whole dam VDO, and he never explained why there were NO Rangers.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I watched the whole dam VDO, and he never explained why there were NO Rangers.
I clicked it off as soon as I saw who it was.

I was going to ask... why are there no Rangers?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals