• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

why stock hubs dont work for racing

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So i was playin around on YouTube and found this. Kind of a perfect example as to why i wont run the stock hubs on the race ranger lol. Now i was just gunna use the stock ones for a while but thanks to daves input i upgraded to his dana 44 hub setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB0dYCezwgI

Hubs are one of those things that you may never know when they will break unless you take them apart everytime you take her out to inspect for cracks

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
DO your linky is a no go.

Last edited:

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
sorry your link wasn't working and I was talking to the wife and typing at the same time.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
By hub you don't mean lockout. You mean the actual hub, which is cast together with the brakes disk. Because the thing everyone calls a hub, which is actually called a lockout or hub lock is what always breaks. And when it does, there is a bang and it goes flying but the wheel doesn't come off.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
By hub you don't mean lockout. You mean the actual hub, which is cast together with the brakes disk. Because the thing everyone calls a hub, which is actually called a lockout or hub lock is what always breaks. And when it does, there is a bang and it goes flying but the wheel doesn't come off.

I agree and the most common failure with I-beam axles is the weak spindle snout. That's what looks like failed in the video. Nothing to do with the hub. The IFS spindles have the same problem.

D35 and D44 snouts are a popular upgrade as they have a wider contact pattern rather than the 1.5" solid snout, and the D35/D44 snouts are easily replaced.

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i refer to the hub as the whole spindle, bearings and rotating assembly. Anyhow, the spindle in this case :rolleyes:

dave@threat

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Haha! Good old D-35s coming apart as usual!

TayCo 7s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have seen stock ones run the baja 500 . actually i think the truck has been running the same stock ones for years and years... i think a whole bunch of things can affect it.. suspension setup. how tight you get them on there..

LoL but that was a toyota with beamss ... what a poser

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals