• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Who here downshifts?

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I blew a caliper seal out of town two years ago, continued to drive about 40 miles to the parts store and another 20 to my grandfathers garage. a 300 I-6 makes a very good brake.
I remember that! lol

Caliper seals tend not to fair well against a spinning rotor.

When I owned a manual I just downshifted when I felt it necessary. Don't know why or how. It was subconscience almost.

There were a few times I did it to scare the shit out of people who were new to driving with me. Like popping the clutch with the selector in 1st doing 30.....tends to make people shit themselves.....:icon_rofl:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
while it's not necessary it does prolong the life of the synchros
They do last darn near forever without it though.

It sounds freaking sweet with a loaded down truck and a louder exhaust though...

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
i must be past forever then. my full size his 350,000 and change on it and #2 sync is gone. not really a big deal though, i use it as first and as such don't try to downshift into it all too often.

Snafu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
I learned how to downshift on my own, it seemed easier both on the brakes and on my legs somehow, i like it more that way

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Automatic transmissions are the ruin of the brain dead driving public. If you didn't learn to drive on a stick, you probably don't know how to drive. Period.
There is no other way to learn in my opinion. I've mostly driven vehicles with a manual trans for 19 years now. My Ranger is an auto, but I sure wish it wasn't. Every Ranger I test drove with a manual was beat to hell. I really miss the M5OD in my Explorer. At least I still get to drive a 5 speed in the summer.

I do downshift. I feel no shame in it whatsoever. I was always taught to downshift, I don't really know why other than you slow down much quicker. Mostly I started doing it because my Dad did. I believe both sides of the "transmission wear" topics are merely theories.

dmassey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Been downshifting to break mainly on hills evers since I started "swapping cogs" in school busses about 35 years ago. Still do it on my Ranger and also on the Harley. Just careful not to "drop" the clutch cause that would be abusing the tranny.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What I have noticed is that on my car when you push in the clutch to downshift the RPM increase slightly. This I thought was for emissions to keep the mtor from dumping unburned fuel into the exhaust.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They do last darn near forever without it though.

It sounds freaking sweet with a loaded down truck and a louder exhaust though...
i wouldn't say that, i just had my 1-2 syncro replaced at 90 000km

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i must be past forever then. my full size his 350,000 and change on it and #2 sync is gone. not really a big deal though, i use it as first and as such don't try to downshift into it all too often.
350,000 miles is quite awhile, you can't really complain about something breaking at that point.

Dads one ton has close to 300k on it, is on the market for its third motor and needs the body redone for the second time. Been worked hard its whole life, and just about everybody that has worked for him learned (or made something of an attempt to learn) how to drive a manual in it. Tranny has never been touched.

i wouldn't say that, i just had my 1-2 syncro replaced at 90 000km
There are always exceptions, but usually they last quite awhile.

If 90k KM was the norm, manual lovers wouldn't have much of a arguement over an automatic for durabiltiy.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
350,000 miles is quite awhile, you can't really complain about something breaking at that point.

Dads one ton has close to 300k on it, is on the market for its third motor and needs the body redone for the second time. Been worked hard its whole life, and just about everybody that has worked for him learned (or made something of an attempt to learn) how to drive a manual in it. Tranny has never been touched.

There are always exceptions, but usually they last quite awhile.

If 90k KM was the norm, manual lovers wouldn't have much of a arguement over an automatic for durabiltiy.
no, your absolutely right... though it was covered by the 5 year 100 000km warranty...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals