• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

whining noise coming from my trany or transfer?

99jumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello fello ford lover's,

I have a 99 ford ranger 3.0L 4x4 and I have a whining noise coming from either my transmission or transfercase. It matches my rpm's but is only in 1st, 2nd and reverse gears and only with the clutch out. The second I push the clutch in it goes away. I didn't have my four wheel drive working for about 3 years until a couple month ago I put in the new AVM hubs on and a new dash switch. Now I have four wheel drive but just recently I've noticed a winding noise in low gears in both 4x4 and 2wd. Last night I pulled the rail plugs out and siliconed them. I wasn't low on trany fluid but I wanted to make sure I fixed a known problem. When I drove it the noise didn't go away so I checked the transfer case fluid and it was about a quart low ( yikes )! I hope I provided enough information for someone to try and diagnose this problem because I don't know anything about rebuilding a trany or transfer case especially when I don't know what is wrong. The noise really sounds like it's coming from the section where the trany connects to the transfer case. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if it were in the transfer case, it would be speed related, not RPM related. it sounds like you have a transmission problem. a noisy input, throw out, or pilot bearing...or, worst case, something inside the trans.

98ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
it only does it in 4 low? im pretty sure that is normal, just all the parts moving in the t case, mine does the same thing.

99jumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wicked_Sludge,

When I say it was rpm related what I'm trying to translate is that the noise I'm hearing is only in low speeds in 1st, 2nd and reverse with the clutch out. It is following the same speed as my tire rotation. I hope this makes a little more sense.

98ranger4x4,

It happens in 2wd and 4x4. It's definately not just the low gearing that I'm hearing because I'm in 4x4 low.

Thanks for your help!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ahh soryy...i usually read "RPM related" as "engine RPM related" rather than "tire RPM related".

if thats the case it could be anything from axles to the back half of your transmission. since it does it in 2wd, its probably not the front axle.

might be time to lift the vehicle and secure it on jackstands (a vehicle lift would be best/safest). then run the speed up enough to try and get the noise to occur.

99jumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wicked_Sludge,

I can hear the noise even at idle when the truck isn't in gear. I think that I'm just going to start saving my pennies and get ready for a transmission rebuild. I'm almost sure that it's the tranny that is about to go. My truck has 235,000 on the original trany and I've had the usual problem with the four wheel drive in my truck for about 4 years until I got it fixed 2 month ago. My transfer case should still be practically new even though I was about a quart low when I noticed this whole problem after fixing my 4x4 system. If anything else happen's to pop up in your head please feel free to send me an e-mail. Thanks for your help!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if you hear it stopped and at idle, then its not speed related :icon_confused:

if you rev the engine in nuetral, clutch out, does the wining change?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals