• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which Tuner?

Skatike27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I am interested in purchasing a tuner but am completely new to the idea and do not know what separates good from bad. I am currently debating between the following...

Superchips 1865 or Cortex
Edge products EVO HT
SCT (through Rouge Performance)

I own a 2001 Ford Ranger Edge, 4.0l, 4x4, auto trans, ext cab, 90000 miles. STOCK- not an upgrade has been done to the truck (long term maybe- exhaust, intake)
I am looking to get better gas mileage overall, as I am a college student and have a 250 mile one way trip to school; which I do many times over the course of the school year. Being that money in college is tight added mileage for the money would be very worth while.
I am also a snowmobiler and tend to haul a 2 place steel trailer with 2 sleds on it all over the state of Wisconsin in the winter, in search of snow. I understand that there is a possible "tow" tune that might get my truck better gas mileage and travel down the road better with a load.
I understand there is a "performance tune," as well but Im shooting for better mileage towing or not.

Questions...
What MPG gains might I see with a tuner?
What does a "tow" tune actually benefit?
Do I need to go to a dyno to have tunes done?
Does the tuner come pre-programmed with any tunes or do I need to purchase tunes, after purchasing the tuner itself?
What is "S.W.A.G."?

Sorry if there are "dumb" questions. Thanks to any who help!

Tom.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals